Spokane I C-120 - História

Spokane I C-120 - História


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Spokane I

(C120: dp. 6.000; 1. 541 '; b. 53'2 "; dr. 25'11; s.
31,8 k .; cpl. 801; uma. 12 5, 28 40 mm; cl. Juneau)

Spokane (C120) foi lançado em 15 de novembro de 1944 pela Federal Shipbuilding and Drydock Co., Kearny, N.J., lançado em 22 de setembro de 1945; patrocinado pela Srta. Patrice Munsel; e comissionado em 17 de maio de 1946, o Capitão L. E. Crist no comando.

Spokane mudou para Bayonne, N.J., e depois para o Brooklyn, N.Y., de onde navegou em 24 de junho para a Baía de Guantánamo, Cuba, para seu cruzeiro de shakedown e para praticar a batalha e disparar com armas. Ela voltou para Nova York em 11 de setembro. O cruzador foi designado para a 2ª Frota para serviço em águas europeias e navegou para Plymouth, Inglaterra, em 7 de outubro.

Spokane operou nos portos britânicos até meados de janeiro de 1947. Durante sua turnê, ela visitou a Escócia, Irlanda, Noruega e Dinamarca. Em 27 de janeiro, ela saiu de Plymouth e seguiu para os Estados Unidos via Portugal, Gibraltar e a Baía de Guantánamo, onde participou de exercícios de frota antes de chegar a Norfolk, Virgínia, em 18 de março. Após exercícios de frota e bombardeio na Baía de Chesapeake durante o verão, ela teve um período de disponibilidade de estaleiro no Estaleiro da Marinha do Brooklyn de 22 de setembro a 14 de outubro. O cruzador voltou a Norfolk para o Dia da Marinha, 27 de outubro, e então se preparou para outro desdobramento

'Spokane saiu de Norfolk no dia 29 e se encontrou com outras unidades da 2ª Frota-Tarefa para exercícios táticos ao largo das Bermudas até 8 de novembro, quando partiu para a Inglaterra. Ela chegou a Plymouth em 16 de novembro e foi designada para o serviço nas Forças Navais do Atlântico Leste e do Mediterrâneo. Quatro dias depois, o navio vestiu o "traje completo" em comemoração ao casamento de Sua Alteza Real, a Princesa Elizabeth da Inglaterra. O cruzador visitou Bremerhaven, na Alemanha, de 24 a 26 de novembro e retornou à Inglaterra para operações táticas. Em fevereiro de 1947, o navio fez escala em Rotterdam, Holanda, onde foi visitado por sua Alteza Real, o Príncipe Bernhard, no dia 17. Em 1º de março, Spokane saiu de Plymouth a caminho da costa leste e chegou a Norfolk em 11 de março. No dia 18, sua designação foi alterada para CLAA-120.

As operações de Spokane ao longo da costa leste durante o restante do ano foram interrompidas por uma revisão no Estaleiro da Marinha de Nova York de 27 de maio a 15 de setembro. Em 4 de janeiro de 1949, o navio fez uma surtida com o Mar das Filipinas (CV-47) e Manchester (CL-83) para o Mediterrâneo. Em 25 de janeiro, em Atenas, o cruzador recebeu uma visita real do Rei Paulo e da Rainha Fredrika da Grécia. Spokane participou de jogos de guerra com unidades da 6ª Frota e visitou portos na Turquia, Itália, França, Sardenha, Tunísia, Líbia e Argélia antes de retornar a Norfolk em 23 de maio.

Spokane atuou como um navio de treinamento para as Reservas Navais do 4º Distrito Naval durante o verão e, em seguida, participou de exercícios de treinamento na área de Capes de Virgínia.

Em 24 de outubro de 1949, Spokane navegou para Nova York para inativação. Ela foi colocada na reserva, fora de serviço, em 27 de fevereiro de 1950 e atracada em Nova York. Em 1º de abril de 1966, ela foi redesignada como A-191. Spokane foi retirado da lista da Marinha em 15 de abril de 1972. Ela foi vendida para a Luria Bros. & Co. Inc., em 17 de maio de 1973 e descartada.


História de Spokane, Washington

o história de Spokane, Washington no noroeste dos Estados Unidos se desenvolveu porque Spokane Falls e seus arredores foram um local de encontro para várias culturas por milhares de anos. Os indígenas da área se estabeleceram ali devido aos férteis campos de caça e à abundância de salmão no rio Spokane. O primeiro europeu a explorar o interior do noroeste foi o explorador geógrafo canadense David Thompson, que trabalhava como chefe do Departamento de Columbia da North West Company. No nexo de Little Spokane e Spokane, os homens de Thompson construíram um novo entreposto comercial de peles, que é o primeiro assentamento europeu de longo prazo no estado de Washington.

Os primeiros colonos americanos, os posseiros J.J. Downing, com sua esposa, enteada e S.R. Scranton, construiu uma cabana e estabeleceu uma reivindicação em Spokane Falls em 1871. James N. Glover e Jasper Matheney, dois Oregonians passando pela região em 1873, reconheceram o valor do rio Spokane e suas quedas. Eles perceberam o potencial de desenvolvimento e compraram as reivindicações de 160 acres (0,65 km 2) e a serraria de Downing e Scranton por $ 4.000 no total. Glover e Matheney sabiam que a Northern Pacific Railroad Company havia recebido uma autorização do governo para construir uma linha principal através dessa rota do norte. Em 1881, a Ferrovia do Pacífico Norte foi concluída, trazendo grandes assentamentos europeus para a área. Com a chegada da Northern Pacific Railroad e os acréscimos posteriores à infraestrutura ferroviária da cidade com a chegada das ferrovias Union Pacific, Great Northern e Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul e Pacific, Spokane se tornou o centro comercial do Interior Noroeste. Foi um dos centros ferroviários mais importantes do oeste dos Estados Unidos. Spokane sediou a primeira Feira Mundial com tema ambiental na Expo '74, tornando-se a menor cidade a sediar uma Feira Mundial. Com a queda dos preços da prata, da madeira e das fazendas, a economia da cidade começou um declínio que duraria até a década de 1990. Spokane ainda está tentando fazer a transição para uma economia mais orientada para os serviços. A inauguração do River Park Square Mall em 1999 provocou um renascimento no centro da cidade, que incluiu a construção da Spokane Arena e a expansão do Spokane Convention Center.


HistoryLink.org

Em 2 de novembro de 1909, os Trabalhadores Industriais do Mundo (IWW ou Wobblies) começam formalmente a luta pela liberdade de expressão de Spokane. Esta é uma ação de desobediência civil montada em desafio público ao decreto da Câmara Municipal de Spokane que proíbe falar nas ruas, um decreto dirigido contra a organização de IWW. Neste dia, um por um, os membros do IWW montam uma caixa de sabão (uma caixa virada) e começam a falar, na qual a polícia de Spokane os arranca da caixa e os leva para a prisão. No primeiro dia, 103 Wobblies são presos, espancados e encarcerados. Dentro de um mês, as prisões aumentarão para 500, incluindo a jovem e impetuosa oradora Wobbly Elizabeth Gurley Flynn (1890-1964). A luta pela liberdade de expressão de Spokane terminará com a cidade revogando o decreto. Vai inaugurar lutas pela liberdade de expressão em outras cidades e é considerada uma das batalhas mais significativas para proteger a liberdade de expressão na história americana.

As agências de emprego preferem o silêncio

A Stevens Street em Spokane estava repleta de agências de empregos que cobravam um dólar dos muitos trabalhadores temporários em busca de trabalho para receber um emprego em um acampamento madeireiro ou equipe de construção. O empregador então ficava com o trabalhador por um ou dois dias, demitia-o e contratava outro. Se o trabalhador quisesse outro emprego, ele poderia ir a uma das agências de empregos e pagar mais um dólar para conseguir um.

O organizador da IWW, James Walsh, chegou a Spokane no outono de 1908 e encontrou as ruas fervilhando de dois ou três mil trabalhadores furiosos. Em pelo menos uma ocasião, Walsh acalmou uma turba pronta para destruir uma agência de empregos, instando os homens a se juntarem ao IWW. Naquele ano, o IWW estabeleceu um salão sindical com uma biblioteca, uma banca de charutos e jornais e um salão de reuniões. O sindicato realizava reuniões e palestras quatro ou cinco vezes por semana. Um jornal, o Trabalhador industrial foi estabelecido.

As agências de emprego, conhecidas pelos trabalhadores como "tubarões" ou "sanguessugas", persuadiram a Câmara Municipal de Spokane a aprovar uma lei contra falar nas ruas, e isso entrou em vigor em 1º de janeiro de 1909. Prefeito de Spokane NS Pratt, um proeminente lenhador por atacado, não se opôs.

O IWW cooperou no início, realizando reuniões sindicais dentro do salão sindical. No verão, a estação da colheita começou e muitos trabalhadores deixaram a cidade. Em agosto, o Conselho Municipal abriu uma exceção à proibição de falar nas ruas para o Exército de Salvação. Isso não era aceitável para o IWW. No outono, vários trabalhadores temporários retornaram à cidade, e a luta pela liberdade de expressão começou. o Trabalhador industrial enviou uma chamada para os membros do Wobbly virem a Spokane para serem presos pela causa, e trabalhadores migrantes de todas as partes, conhecidos como vagabundos ou feiticeiros ou bestas da madeira, começaram a chegar à cidade.

"Amigos e colegas de trabalho!"

Em 2 de novembro, um palanque foi montado e Wobblies começou a subir nele para começar a falar para a enorme multidão reunida. Cada "orador" foi preso imediatamente, portanto não havia necessidade de ser um orador talentoso. Diz a lenda que uma alma corajosa montou na caixa e começou: "Amigos e colegas de trabalho!" No momento, não havia nenhum policial pronto. O homem ficou apavorado com o medo do palco e gritou: "Onde estão os policiais ?!"

Durante o mês seguinte, mais de 500 foram presos. O Departamento de Guerra dos EUA ajudou a cidade de Spokane em sua luta contra o direito constitucional de liberdade de expressão ao fornecer Fort Wright para prender os Wobblies depois que a prisão da cidade estava lotada.

Chega de garota rebelde

A jovem organizadora Elizabeth Gurley Flynn chegou à cidade e atrasou sua prisão imediata ao se acorrentar a um poste. Ela era uma oradora apaixonada e atraente e uma das razões pelas quais outros cidadãos da cidade começaram a acreditar que os Wobblies estavam do lado certo.

Flynn foi colocado na prisão e mais tarde publicou relatos no Trabalhador industrial das condições sujas, superlotadas e geralmente horrendas da prisão da cidade, incluindo a acusação de que o xerife estava usando a seção feminina da prisão como um bordel lucrativo, com a polícia solicitando clientes. A polícia tentou destruir todas as cópias da edição de 10 de dezembro em que Flynn fez essas acusações. Antes disso, oito editores em sucessão publicaram uma edição antes de serem presos. Após a edição de 10 de dezembro, os Wobblies mudaram o Trabalhador industrial para Seattle até 10 de maio de 1910, eles o mudaram de volta para Spokane.

Spokane se aproxima

A luta pela liberdade de expressão em Spokane atraiu a atenção nacional. A própria história sindical do IWW dá o seguinte relato de sua conclusão bem-sucedida:

No final, os Wobblies foram apoiados pelo Spokane Press, grupos cívicos locais de mulheres, afiliadas sindicais da AFL, vários socialistas e sociedades alemãs.

Em 4 de março de 1910, Spokane revogou o decreto e os prisioneiros foram libertados. Em pouco tempo, as licenças de 19 agências de emprego foram revogadas e as empresas começaram a contratar trabalhadores diretamente. A reputação dos Trabalhadores Industriais do Mundo atingiu um ponto alto em Spokane.

Stevens Street, olhando para o sul da avenida principal, Spokane, ca. 1910


Aplicativos agora abertos! 2021 Pedidos de Concessão de Melhoria de Fachada para Preservação Histórica

Procura dinheiro para ajudar a reabilitar o seu edifício histórico? Nós temos alguns! Introduzido em 2019, o Escritório de Preservação Histórica de Spokane tem o prazer de oferecer a Concessão de Melhoria de Fachada de Preservação Histórica para o terceiro ciclo. Criado por uma revisão do Decreto de Preservação Histórica da Cidade, o Programa de Concessão de Melhoria de Fachada de Preservação Histórica fornece aos candidatos selecionados fundos correspondentes até $5,000 para a reabilitação de fachadas históricas. Todas as propriedades listadas no Registro de Locais Históricos de Spokane E dentro da cidade de Spokane podem se inscrever. (Isso inclui propriedades contribuintes no recentemente listado Browne & # 8217s Addition Local Historic District.)

As inscrições para 2021 são vence na terça-feira, 15 de junho de 2021.

Entre em contato com Logan Camporeale com qualquer dúvida: [email protected]

Deslize as fotos abaixo para ver o que um pequeno amor de fachada pode fazer!


HistoryLink.org

Spokane é a maior cidade do leste de Washington e o centro comercial de uma área interestadual conhecida anteriormente como "Inland Empire" e agora como "Inland Northwest". Após ser colonizada na década de 1870, ela rapidamente se tornou a sede do condado de Spokane e o centro regional de mineração, agricultura, madeira, transporte, educação e serviços médicos. O desenvolvimento urbano se espalhou muito além da população de 2005 de 200.000 residentes dentro dos limites atuais da cidade em um condado de quase 430.000. Spokane, como muitas cidades, passou por períodos de expansão, queda, estagnação e recuperação. Por mais de 100 anos, ele tem fornecido um oásis urbano bem-vindo no trecho menos povoado de planícies e montanhas entre o rio Mississippi e Seattle.

Os Spokanes

A ocupação humana do local começou séculos antes. Um rio, em particular sua série espetacular de quedas, foi a razão tanto para a habitação nativa quanto para o povoamento branco posterior. Eventualmente chamado de Rio Spokane, este afluente do Columbia fervilhava de salmões que sustentavam os povos indígenas da região, os Spokanes. Durante as corridas de salmão, outras tribos juntaram-se aos Spokanes nas cataratas para pescar, fazer comércio, jogos, celebração e socialização. Embora existam várias teorias, o significado mais comum do nome "Spokane" é "Filhos do Sol".

Com o aumento da colonização branca, os Spokanes foram arrastados para os conflitos mais amplos entre índios e brancos da região. Em 1881, a reserva de Spokane foi estabelecida a noroeste da cidade atual e, a partir de 1908, as represas no rio Spokane acabaram com o modo de vida da tribo baseado em salmão.

Chegam europeus

Comerciantes de peles e missionários foram os primeiros descendentes de europeus a cruzar a área mais ampla da qual Spokane acabaria se tornando o centro. Em 1807, David Thompson (1770-1857), comerciante de peles e cartógrafo da Canadian North West Company, cruzou o Continental Divide e começou a explorar a bacia hidrográfica do alto Columbia, incluindo a região do rio Spokane. Os missionários Elkanah Walker e Cushing Eells (1810-1893) estiveram na região de 1838-1848. A partir daí, os brancos que visitaram a área ficaram impressionados não apenas com a grandiosidade das cataratas, mas com sua potencial importância econômica.

Em 1871, James J. Downing e Seth R. Scranton construíram uma serraria nas cataratas na margem sul do rio. Em 1873, James N. Glover (1837-1921) e um parceiro, Jasper N. Matheney, chegaram do Oregon em busca de terras, possivelmente para estabelecer uma cidade, e ficaram impressionados com o potencial do local das quedas. Sem revelar suas intenções finais, eles conseguiram comprar o moinho de Downing e os 160 acres que ele mantinha como posseiro de acordo com os termos da Lei de Preempção de 1841. Glover, que ficou conhecido como o "Pai de Spokane", em seguida adquiriu a reivindicação de Scranton. Em 1877, ele comprou a parte de seu sócio Matheney e convenceu um moleiro nascido na Alemanha, Frederick Post, a construir um moinho de grãos nas cataratas. Glover logo expandiu a serraria existente e construiu um armazém geral.

Spokane se transforma em uma cidade

Com os benefícios de um armazém, madeira e farinha, mais famílias começaram a se estabelecer na margem sul do rio. Em breve seguiram-se igrejas, escolas, bancos, hotéis, bares e jornais. Em pouco tempo, Post perseguiu sua intenção original de estabelecer um moinho rio acima, no que mais tarde se tornou Post Falls, Idaho. O Rev. S. G. Havermale, que havia chegado em 1875, substituiu Post como o moleiro em Spokan Falls. (Durante os primeiros anos, a grafia da cidade variou entre Spokan e Spokane, e "Falls" foi abandonado em 1891.)

Entre os colonos empreendedores da década de 1870 estavam Anthony M. Cannon (1839-1895) e John J. Browne (1843-1912), que comprou metade da propriedade de Glover, incluindo sua loja. Cannon se tornou o primeiro banqueiro em Spokane Falls, e Browne abriu um escritório de advocacia. Junto com Glover, eles eram ativos no desenvolvimento imobiliário da área recém-plantada e se tornaram ricos líderes cívicos. À medida que mais colonos chegaram, a necessidade de hotéis tornou-se clara e, em 1877, a Western House foi construída, seguida no ano seguinte pela maior California House. Em 1879, Francis H. Cook fundou o primeiro jornal, o Spokan Times. O ano de 1879 também viu a criação do condado de Spokane, esculpido no condado de Stevens, com Spokane nomeado sede do condado temporário. Uma rivalidade subsequente com a vizinha Cheney, incluindo o roubo de registros do condado de Spokane, acabou sendo resolvida em favor de Spokane. O arquiteto Willis Ritchie concluiu um tribunal de condado no estilo de um castelo francês em 1895.

Os prósperos anos 1880

A década de 1880 trouxe crescimento e prosperidade. Em 1881, com uma população de cerca de 1.000, Spokane foi incorporada. As florestas virgens do Noroeste foram um incentivo ao desenvolvimento da ferrovia e, em 1883, o Pacífico Norte foi concluído, garantindo o futuro da cidade. As descobertas de minerais na área de Coeur d'Alene no norte de Idaho e no canto nordeste de Washington deram início a um boom, primeiro em ouro, depois em prata, chumbo e zinco. Por décadas, essas minas canalizaram riquezas para Spokane. Além disso, as férteis colinas produtoras de trigo de Palouse ao sul, fazendas irrigadas no vale de Spokane, ferrovias e a indústria madeireira fizeram de Spokane o centro econômico indiscutível do Império Interior.

Instituições duradouras, como a Gonzaga University e o Sacred Heart Hospital, foram fundadas. Um sistema de ferrovias foi estabelecido, pontes construídas e iniciado o traçado da margem norte do rio. Em 1886, Spokane estava à frente de São Francisco e Portland na aquisição de postes de luz.

Na década de 1880, Spokane estava se tornando um importante centro de feiras e convenções agrícolas e industriais. A Feira Washington-Idaho, iniciada em 1887, continuou como a Feira Interestadual de Spokane, descontinuada durante a Depressão, mas revivida em 1952. A National Apple Show acontecia anualmente em Spokane de 1908 a 1916. Bem no século XX, as convenções nacionais organizações de irrigação e agricultura, bem como congressos para as indústrias de mineração e madeira, reuniam-se regularmente em Spokane.

Queimando e reconstruindo

A década de 1880 terminou com um incêndio devastador que começou em 4 de agosto de 1889, destruindo grande parte do centro da cidade. Uma cidade de tendas abrigou temporariamente negócios no centro, que continuaram como de costume. Felizmente, muitos dos prédios tinham seguro e foram rapidamente substituídos por belas estruturas duráveis ​​de tijolo ou pedra. Pós-incêndio Spokane carregou a marca de Kirtland K. Cutter (1860-1939) e outros arquitetos ilustres e logo foi considerada a melhor cidade entre Minneapolis e Seattle.

Talvez como uma demonstração de confiança, no outono de 1890, Spokane realizou a Northwest Industrial Exposition, a primeira feira industrial do estado. A recém-operacional Washington Water Power Company forneceu eletricidade para o imponente novo edifício de exposição. O prédio pegou fogo logo em seguida, mas a influência da exposição perdurou.

Spokane's 1890

Então, o Pânico de 1893 trouxe desemprego para muitos e perda de fortunas de líderes como Glover, Browne e Cannon. Uma companhia hipotecária holandesa, a Northwestern and Pacific Hypotheekbank, que havia financiado a construção de muitos dos edifícios pós-incêndio, executou a hipoteca e, por um tempo considerável, muitos imóveis valiosos de Spokane pertenciam aos holandeses.

Na recuperação pós-Pânico, uma nova geração de líderes ricos emergiu, principalmente mineradores ou ferroviários. Entre eles estavam Amasa B. Campbell, Patrick (Patsy) Clark, August Paulsen, Levi Hutton (1860-1928), DC (Daniel Chase) Corbin (1832-1918), Jay P. Graves (1859-1948), John H. Finch, Robert E. Strahorn e F. Lewis Clark. Com o passar dos anos, eles aumentaram o estoque de Spokane das mansões projetadas por Kirtland Cutter. Alguns dos jornais publicados durante a década de 1880 foram consolidados sob William H. Cowles, fundando uma dinastia de jornais familiares cuja Resenha do porta-voz continua até o presente. O Forte George Wright, guarnecido em 1899, trouxe uma presença militar à cidade até seu fechamento em 1957.

Todas as estradas levam a Spokane

Em 1900, Spokane tinha uma população de quase 40.000. Logo a cidade experimentou a transição da era puxada por cavalos para a motorizada. As estradas de ferro foram eletrificadas. Um sistema ferroviário interurbano ligava Spokane às cidades vizinhas, e ferrovias alimentadoras conectadas com linhas transcontinentais. O ano de 1905 viu a fundação da McGoldrick Lumber, durante anos o maior empregador de Spokane. As ferrovias do Pacífico Norte e mais tarde da Grande Norte promoveram o assentamento por meio de brochuras que prometiam uma utopia agrícola e econômica em Spokane e no Império do Interior. Então, com o advento do automóvel e estradas melhoradas, a cidade realmente começou a cumprir seu slogan promocional: "Todas as estradas levam a Spokane."

Em 1909, dizia-se que Spokane tinha 26 milionários, e bairros residenciais de luxo estavam se desenvolvendo em Browne's Addition, a oeste do centro, e no South Hill, pitorescas alturas salpicadas de basalto com vista para o centro da cidade. Proprietários de terras ricos, percebendo que os parques municipais adjacentes aos seus "acréscimos" aumentariam o valor dos lotes que estavam vendendo, doaram terrenos à cidade para esse fim. A empresa de arquitetos paisagistas Olmsted Brothers, de renome nacional, foi contratada para sugerir projetos para parques, ruas residenciais, jardins privados e preservação da área cênica do rio. O promotor local mais influente dos parques da cidade foi Aubrey Lee White (1868-1948), o primeiro e há muito tempo presidente do conselho do parque. Os clubes femininos de Spokane também foram vitais na promoção de parques, bibliotecas e artes.

Trabalho e votação

O enorme boom de imigração entre 1900 e 1910 ajudou a aumentar a população de Spokane de quase 40.000 para mais de 100.000. A classe trabalhadora cada vez mais se estabeleceu no lado norte do rio. Desenvolveram-se enclaves étnicos, como o "vale pacífico", em grande parte finlandês, a oeste do centro da cidade, ao longo da margem sul do rio. Italianos, alemães, chineses e outros tinham centros semelhantes de colonização e identidade cultural.

Os trabalhadores sazonais residiam em hotéis de trabalhadores no centro da cidade ou em pensões entre empregos nas minas ou nos campos de madeira. Os problemas trabalhistas, que atingiram um auge violento nas minas Coeur d'Alene na década de 1890, continuaram. Spokane, já uma grande fortaleza sindical, tornou-se um dos vários centros de recrutamento dos Trabalhadores Industriais do Mundo (Wobblies). Em janeiro de 1909, as manifestações de um "movimento pela liberdade de expressão" levaram a prisões em massa. Um discurso inflamado e a subsequente prisão de uma jovem organizadora sindical, Elizabeth Gurley Flynn, tiveram repercussões muito além de Spokane.

As mulheres do estado de Washington receberam o voto em 1910. A mais conhecida defensora do sufrágio de Spokane foi a colorida e franca May Arkwright Hutton (1860-1915), esposa de Levi Hutton e sócia em sua Hercules Mine e outras empresas. Embora nem sempre aceita pelas matronas da sociedade de Spokane, ela foi influente nos níveis estadual e nacional e acabou se tornando uma heroína local.

Charme e diversão

Aumentando o apelo de Spokane como uma cidade de convenções estavam seus hotéis, especialmente o charmoso Spokane Hotel no estilo "Arts and Crafts", construído após o incêndio. No início do século, os líderes empresariais que buscavam aumentar a importância de Spokane como destino de convenções, promoveram a ideia de um hotel maior. Em Louis Davenport (1869-1961), eles encontraram o homem certo para lançar e gerenciar tal projeto, e seu espetacular Davenport Hotel, projetado por Kirtland Cutter, inaugurado em 1914. Com sua atmosfera de luxo e hospitalidade, foi considerado por muito tempo como o melhor hotel a oeste do Mississippi. Durante as décadas de 1950 e 1960, foi abandonado e foi fechado em 1985. Após várias ameaças de demolição, foi comprado em 2000 e restaurado à sua antiga grandiosidade.

A autopromoção da cidade durante a adolescência foi melhor exemplificada pela competição "Miss Spokane" do Spokane Advertising Club. Não é um concurso de beleza típico, mas sim uma busca por uma jovem charmosa, inteligente e articulada para atuar como anfitriã e representante da cidade. A primeira e mais festejada, escolhida em 1912, foi Marguerite Motie, que, surpreendentemente, ocupou o cargo até 1939.

Nos anos que antecederam a Primeira Guerra Mundial, Spokane estava aprendendo a se divertir. Em 1895, a Washington Water Power adquiriu o Natatorium Park, já um destino de parque de diversões, em uma curva do rio Spokane no final da estrada de ferro na direção oeste. Primeiro a piscina (daí o nome), depois uma proliferação de entretenimento e passeios atraiu hordas de pessoas, aumentando assim o número de passageiros nas linhas de energia da Washington Water. O Nat Park fechou em 1968, mas seu carrossel clássico foi transferido para o Riverfront Park, no centro de Spokane.

Além disso, os trens interurbanos elétricos facilitaram o acesso ao Lago Liberty, a leste de Spokane, e ao Lago Coeur d'Alene, do outro lado da fronteira com Idaho. Então, à medida que os carros tornavam esses e outros lagos mais acessíveis, os habitantes de Spokan construíram casas de férias e "ir ao lago" se tornou a atividade padrão no verão.

A aviação foi importante para a história de Spokane quase desde o início do voo e, durante a década de 1920, a cidade tornou-se um centro da aviação privada, comercial e militar. Em 1924, a Guarda Nacional de Washington foi formada pelo herói local, Major John Fancher. Em 12 de setembro de 1927, logo após seu voo transatlântico, Charles Lindbergh causou sensação ao visitar Spokane em seu Espírito de São Luís. Mais tarde naquele mês, Spokane sediou o National Air Races e o Spokane Air Derby, com corridas de Nova York e San Francisco convergindo para a cidade.

Durante a década de 1920, a Mamer Air Transport Company foi pioneira em uma rota comercial e de correio entre Seattle, Spokane e Minneapolis-St. Paulo. A aviação comercial inicial baseava-se em Felts Field, a leste da cidade. O atual Aeroporto Internacional de Spokane, a oeste, atende as principais companhias aéreas nacionais e internacionais. A ameaça da Segunda Guerra Mundial levou ao estabelecimento de uma base aérea em Spokane, primeiro em Geiger Field, depois em Fairchild AFB, que continua até hoje.

Uma cidade americana do século XX

As experiências de Spokane durante a Primeira Guerra Mundial, a Lei Seca, os loucos anos 20 e a Depressão foram em sua maioria como as de outras cidades americanas. Spokane mobilizou a Cruz Vermelha e outros esforços internos. A epidemia de gripe de 1918 resultou em mais de 1.000 mortes. Durante a Lei Seca, os moonshiners locais faziam um comércio vigoroso, licor contrabandeado fluía pela fronteira canadense e a aplicação da lei era frequentemente corrupta. Uma depressão agrícola que começou durante a década de 1920 resultou na execução hipotecária de muitas fazendas. A Spokane Stock Exchange, formada em 1897 para negociar ações de mineração, sofreu com o crash de 1929, mas se recuperou para funcionar até 1991.

Durante a Depressão, bancos e empresas faliram, a taxa de desemprego de Spokane era de um em cada quatro e as filas de sopa eram longas. No entanto, programas de socorro como o Works Progress Administration e o Civilian Conservation Corps forneciam emprego temporário e melhorias de infraestrutura permanentes. O maior projeto do New Deal, a represa Grand Coulee, logo crucial para o esforço de guerra, forneceu eletrificação rural para o leste de Washington e baixas tarifas elétricas que facilitaram a indústria do pós-guerra em Spokane.

Durante a Segunda Guerra Mundial, Spokane foi a casa do Depósito de Abastecimento Naval Velox, o enorme depósito de suprimentos e reparos do Corpo Aéreo do Exército Galena (mais tarde Fairchild AFB), Geiger Field, Fort George Wright e o Baxter Army Hospital. Além disso, duas fábricas de alumínio de propriedade federal nos subúrbios de Mead e Trentwood provaram ser cruciais para o esforço de guerra. Cerca de 15.000 residentes de Spokane serviram nas forças armadas e muitos foram empregados em indústrias relacionadas com a guerra.

Os veteranos voltaram, muitos para frequentar faculdades locais e próximas, como Gonzaga, Whitworth, Eastern and Washington State, sob o GI Bill. Eles compraram as casas de crackers do pós-guerra em empreendimentos recém-planejados e criaram os filhos, como proclamava a tradição popular, "um bom lugar para criar uma família". Spokane do pós-guerra viveu em uma prosperidade modesta e em valores conservadores arraigados. Suas várias dezenas de famílias importantes, interligadas por meio de negócios, casamento, vida social e envolvimento cívico, continuaram a governar a cidade. Os operários receberam um impulso quando Henry J. Kaiser assumiu as fábricas de alumínio Mead e Trentwood em 1946, expandindo o uso do alumínio em tempos de paz e a base de empregos manufatureiros de Spokane.

Recusa e renovação

Embora relativamente incólume às convulsões sociais das décadas de 1960 e 1970, Spokane passou por outras mudanças. A expansão urbana começou a se desenvolver, particularmente com a conclusão da Interestadual 90 em 1967. Com a proliferação de shoppings suburbanos do pós-guerra, o centro da cidade diminuiu. Alguns prédios históricos foram demolidos para dar lugar a blocos de escritórios e estacionamentos sem personalidade. Felizmente, a falta de capital de desenvolvimento durante o período salvou outros da bola de demolição. A área do rio, há muito uma monstruosidade poluída, atravessada por cavaletes de ferrovia e ladeada por armazéns e estacionamentos feios, permaneceu negligenciada.

Os líderes empresariais e cívicos de Spokane, percebendo que era hora de parar o deslizamento da cidade e reabilitar o rio, formaram um grupo chamado Spokane Unlimited. Sob King Cole, seu primeiro diretor contratado, um audacioso plano de recuperação do rio e da área devastada ao redor começou a tomar forma: a Expo '74, feira mundial com tema ambiental. Por meio de árdua arrecadação de fundos e negociações complexas com as ferrovias e outros proprietários, a cidade adquiriu o terreno. O rio foi limpo de sua cruz de cavaletes, e edifícios em grande parte da margem sul foram arrasados.

Em seu lugar surgiram o permanente Riverfront Park, a ópera, o centro de convenções e o Imax Theatre, bem como pavilhões temporários de muitas nações e organizações. A ópera recebeu grandes artistas, e o centro de convenções forneceu um local para simpósios ambientais importantes. As águas poluídas do rio foram, pelo menos temporariamente, limpas. Superando obstáculos incríveis, a Expo '74, que estreou em 4 de maio e durou até 4 de novembro, foi um grande sucesso, com a presença de mais de cinco milhões de pessoas, deixando uma cidade melhorada.

Dificuldades

A energia e a cooperação que produziram a Expo '74 não foram sustentadas nas duas décadas seguintes. O governo da cidade estava desfocado e contencioso, e as relações público-privadas que tornaram a feira possível murcharam. A crise nacional da década de 1980 resultou localmente em alto desemprego e um mercado imobiliário estagnado. A relativa falta de trabalhadores qualificados foi exacerbada pela fuga de cérebros de muitos dos jovens mais bem educados da cidade.

No final da década de 1980 e início da década de 1990, as principais lojas de departamentos do centro da cidade, como a lendária Crescent, não podiam competir com os shoppings suburbanos e fecharam. Na década de 1990, indústrias supostamente seguras de renda familiar, como a Kaiser Aluminium, mudaram de proprietário, reduzindo drasticamente sua força de trabalho e pensões.

Reinventando Spokane

Em uma tentativa de revitalizar toda a economia de Spokane, os líderes da cidade se reinventaram com a Momentum, uma nova organização que substituiu a Spokane Unlimited. Embora os eleitores que se opunham aos aumentos de impostos derrotassem algumas de suas propostas, os esforços do Momentum acabaram levando a uma nova arena esportiva e ao início de um centro cooperativo de ensino superior.

Desde o final da década de 1990, Spokane recuperou o otimismo. Ele continua a brilhar no campo médico. Novas bibliotecas foram construídas, o Museu de Arte e Cultura do Noroeste foi ampliado e o Fox Theatre em art déco está sendo restaurado para abrigar a cada vez mais aclamada orquestra sinfônica de Spokane. A nova arena atrai shows itinerantes e grandes eventos esportivos. Bloomsday, an annual footrace founded in 1977, attracts about 50,000 participants each spring. Downtown living is becoming an option as architects and preservationists adapt classic Spokane buildings as residential space and develop former railroad land into a riverside mixed-use "urban village."

The most dramatic and contentious recent development has been River Park Square, a public-private venture creating a downtown mall and parking garage aimed at returning vitality to the city center. Opened in 1999, it resulted in years of litigation, settled in 2005, between its major private backer, the Cowles family, and its public funder, the City of Spokane. A consortium of regional universities is expanding its Spokane campus, educational programs, and technical support to the city. The new convention center under construction should give Spokane a competitive edge. Dwindling manufacturing jobs are being replaced by service and technical opportunities. Although problems remain in the areas of tax base, infrastructure, and public services, comparatively low wages and pockets of poverty, as well as aspects of city government, the future for Spokane looks encouraging. The city's designation by the National Civic League as an All-American City for 2004, the first time since the Expo year of 1974, indicates that cautious local optimism is justified.

O estado de Washington
Departamento de Arqueologia e Preservação Histórica do Estado de Washington

Spokane, 1940s

Advertisement for Spokane Interstate Fair, September, 1909

Elkanah Walker (painting by John Mix Stanley), ca. 1860

Courtesy Drury, Elkahah and Mary Walker

James Nettle Glover (1837-1921)

Courtesy Northwest Museum of Arts and Culture

Anthony Cannon (1839-1895)

Courtesy Tornado Creek Publications

Aftermath of Spokane Falls fire, August 4, 1889

Courtesy Northwest Museum of Arts and Culture

Howard Street and Riverside Avenue, Spokane, 1920s

Greetings from Spokane, 1930s

Civic Center, Riverside Avenue, west of downtown Spokane, 1930s

Downtown Spokane, 1930s

Fox Theater, Spokane, 1930s

Davenport Hotel and Restaurant (Kirtland Cutter, restaurant, 1900, hotel, 1914), Spokane, 1950s

Davenport Hotel (Kirtland Cutter and Karl Malmgren 1914 Lindquist Architects, 2002), Spokane, April 18, 2006

Otis Building, First Avenue, Spokane, August 18, 2010

HistoryLink.org Photo by Priscilla Long

Commercial, Norman, and Jefferson buildings, First Avenue, Spokane, August 18, 2010

HistoryLink.org Photo by Priscilla Long

Main entrance, Expo '74, Spokane's World Fair, Spokane, 1974

Riverfront Park, Spokane, August 18, 2010

HistoryLink.org Photo by Priscilla Long

Riverfront Park, Spokane, August 18, 2010

HistoryLink.org Photo by Priscilla Long

Sculpture The Joy of Running Together (David Govedare, 1985), Riverfront Park, Spokane, August 2009

Photo by Glenn Drosendahl

Browne's Addition, Spokane, August 18, 2010

HistoryLink.org Photo by Priscilla Long

Home, Browne's Addition, Spokane, August 18, 2010

HistoryLink.org Photo by Priscilla Long

Tilmont House, W 2014 1st Avenue, Browne's Addition, Spokane, August 18, 2010


Library databases contain reliable information that is generally not available elsewhere on the Web. For this class the following databases will be particularly useful. They can be found in the research databases section of the SCC Library homepage .

" Primary sources are the evidence of history, original records or objects created by participants or observers at the time historical events occurred or even well after events, as in memoirs and oral histories. Primary sources may include but are not limited to: letters, manuscripts, diaries, journals, newspapers, maps, speeches, interviews, documents produced by government agencies, photographs, audio or video recordings, born-digital items (e.g. emails), research data, and objects or artifacts (such as works of art or ancient roads, buildings, tools, and weapons). These sources serve as the raw materials historians use to interpret and analyze the past. & quot

Reference Books with Primary Sources

Located on the 1st floor of the library

  • Annals of America (R973 An72o)
  • American Reader: Words That Moved a Nation (R973 AMERICA)
  • Contemporary American Voices: Significant Speeches in American History, 1945 - Present (R973.92 ANDREWS)
  • Documentary History of the U.S. (R973 Heffner)
  • Encyclopedia of American Historical Documents (R973.03 ENCYCLO)
  • Encyclopedia of the American Revolutionary War (R973.303 ENCYCLO)
  • Eyewitness to America: 500 Years of America in the Words of Those Who Saw It Happen (R 973 EYEWITN)
  • First Encounters: Native Voices on the Coming of the Europeans (R909 FIRST E)
  • Founding the Republic: A Documentary History (R973.3 FOUNDIN)
  • Historic Documents (R973 HISTORI)
  • Milestone Documents in American History (R973 MILESTO) - online version available in the SCC Library'sSalem Pressdatabase
  • Representative American Speeches (R815.5082 R299a)
  • Voices of Civil War America : Contemporary Accounts of Daily Life (R 973.78 VOICES)

Primary Sources in Books That Check Out

Use the Search Box on the Library webpage to combine an historical event or period with words like: correspondence, diaries, interviews, personal narratives, sources, speeches, documents. Search examples:


The 1880s: Early Settlement & Pioneer Life

1880 marked the start of a time of great change in the Inland Northwest. The area currently home to Riverfront Park began a journey of steady growth, transforming open land into a small manufacturing town. The previous decade had seen Spokane’s first Euro-Americans settle along the south channel of the Spokane River, making their homes on the rocky banks. With new construction emerging amidst the small number of existing mills and cabins, the 1880s saw the beginnings of modern development along the Spokane River and the long journey toward the city of Spokane that we know today.

Downtown Spokane after the Great Fire of 1889
(NW MAC, JEF Research Archives, L86-1064)

The fledgling development surrounding the river drew new residents to the area, slowly increasing the population of Spokane Falls. Expanding industry and the growing number of people exposed the problem of accessing the islands in the middle of the river. Big Island, renamed Havermale Island in 1889, was a tempting place for development because of its central location in the middle of the Spokane River channels. This island, as well as the smaller one nearby originally known as Cannon Island, was only accessible by ferry, boat or canoe. Local residents soon chipped in to fund three bridge crossings. Completed in 1881, these bridges followed the path of Howard Street connecting both the north and south banks of the river to Big Island. With the lands in the middle of the river now connected to the mainland, commercial and industrial properties began to appear more readily throughout the area.

The area along the south bank of the river grew quickly in the early years of the decade. Ten structures of commercial, industrial and residential use occupied the land where the Looff Carrousel and Rotary Fountain sit today. Businesses in the vicinity included a stable, tailor, paint shop and two hotels – the California House and the Delmonico. One of the most prominent operations in the area was Spokane’s first commercial laundry facility, Spokane Steam Laundry, which arrived at this time and was located on Havermale Island near the Howard Street bridge. Adding to the growing industrial area, the New York Brewery occupied the corner of Washington Street and Front Avenue, now known as Spokane Falls Boulevard.

As the end of the 1880s approached, this area contained a wide range of industrial and commercial properties. The biggest of these operations was a large lumber mill. Originally known as A.M. Cannon’s Mill and later merging into the Spokane Mill Company, the lumber operation took up the majority of two blocks on the south bank of the river. In addition to lumber production facilities, the area included a shingle mill on Big Island, the National Iron Works factory, and Samuel Havermale and George Davis’ Echo Roller Mill.

With the continuing movement of new residents to the area, an immigrant population began to establish itself among the mills and industry. The developing Chinese community expanded over the course of the decade to include merchant shops, laundry services and a gaming facility. Despite a city ordinance prohibiting the distribution and use of opium opium dens were known to be located in this area as well. Multiple brothels operated in the blocks along the river, catering to the working men and immigrants far from home. Prostitution was a common occurrence in early western towns as few wives followed their husbands to rough mining camps and railroad towns. Furthermore, strict immigration laws prohibiting wives of Chinese laborers from coming to the U.S. meant female companionship was in high demand.

On August 4 th , 1889, the young community of Spokane was faced with disaster. Known as the Great Fire, flames swept through the wooden structures that made up most of the commercial core, destroying 32 blocks of the city’s downtown. The fire consumed structures as far as the north side of the Howard Street Bridge, in the process destroying the Spokane Steam Laundry. Buildings across three blocks in what is now Riverfront Park were destroyed with very few surviving. The New York Brewery on Washington Street was one that survived the flames while others, such as one of the city’s first hotels, the California House, suffered devastating amounts of damage.

First Monroe Street Bridge – built in 1888 ( Durham, Nelson Wayne, 1859-1938 –
History of the city of Spokane and Spokane County, Washington)

Echo Roller Mill, ca. 1885 – Teakle Collection. Northwest Room.
Spokane Public Library.


HistoryLink.org

Most of downtown Spokane (then known as Spokane Falls) was destroyed by fire on August 4, 1889. The conflagration broke out in an area of flimsy wooden structures and quickly spread to engulf the substantial stone and brick buildings of the business district. Property losses were huge and one person died. After the fire, Spokane experienced the "phoenix effect" typical of many cities destroyed by fire, as fine new buildings of a revitalized downtown rose from the ashes. Accounts of the fire's origin and assignment of blame for its catastrophic expansion illustrate how historical myths begin and are perpetuated.

Smoke and Fire

The summer of 1889 had been hot and dry. On the afternoon of August 4, Adelaide Sutton Gilbert (1849-1932) complained in a letter from nearby Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, of temperatures in the nineties "for ever so long" and "dense smoke from fires all over Northwest" (Nolan, 13). Shortly after 6:00 that evening, the Spokane fire began. The most credible and enduring story of its origin is that it started at Wolfe's lunchroom and lodgings opposite the Northern Pacific Depot on Railroad Avenue. o Spokane Daily Chronicle of August 5 reported:

Other immediate newspaper accounts attributed the origin to a grease fire in Wolfe's notoriously dirty kitchen. This plausible interpretation has appeared most often in subsequent publications. Years later, Jerome Peltier collected "eyewitness accounts as well as legends of how the fire started" (Peltier, 19). All agreed on the general location, but varied widely as to the cause, including one assertion that it was a cigarette tossed into dry grass. Another story making the rounds was that the lamp that exploded in the upstairs room had been knocked over as "Irish Kate" fended off a drunken admirer.

The Fire Spreads

The flames raced through the flimsy buildings near the tracks. The nearby Pacific Hotel, a fine new structure of brick and granite, was soon engulfed in the wall of fire advancing on the business center. Church and fire station bells alerted the public and the volunteer fire department, which had formed in 1884 as the result of an 1883 fire. Because of insufficient water pressure for the hoses, they were unable to put out the fire. Spokane was no frontier town composed entirely of makeshift wooden structures, but the fire did start in such an area, where rubbish between buildings provided ideal tinder.

The fire consumed that part of the city and then moved on. "In quick succession the magnificent Frankfurt block, the Hyde block, the Washington, Eagle, Tull and Post Office blocks were feeding the flames. Besides the Pacific Hotel, every first class hotel was destroyed" (Chronicle, August 5).

Daniel H. Dwight's Desk

Daniel H. Dwight (1862-1950) was typical of the many people who raced from home to remove contents of their businesses ahead of the flames. A letter describes the futile efforts to save his office in the Opera House:

The flames jumped the spaces opened by dynamiting and soon created their own firestorm. In a few hours after it began, the Great Spokane Fire, as it came to be called, had destroyed 32 square blocks, virtually the entire downtown. The only fatality was George I. Davis, who died at Sacred Heart Hospital of burns and injuries when he fled (or jumped) from his lodgings at the Arlington Hotel.

Many others were treated at the hospital, where the nuns served meals to the newly homeless boardinghouse dwellers, mostly working men, plus others referred to in newspapers as the "sporting element." Estimates of property losses ranged from $5 to $10 million, an enormous sum for the time, with one-half to two-thirds of it insured.

Some of Spokane's leading citizens immediately formed a relief committee, and other cities donated food, supplies, and money. Even Seattle, just recovering from its own disastrous fire of June 6, sent $15,000. The National Guard was brought in to assure public order, to guard bank vaults and business safes standing amid the ruins, and to prevent looting. Mayor Fred Furth issued dire warnings against price gauging. Unemployed men immediately found work clearing the debris, and any who declined the opportunity were invited to leave town.

Businesses resumed in a hastily erected tent city. They included insurance adjusters, railroad ticket offices, banks, restaurants, clothing stores, and even a tent in which the Spokane Daily Chronicle carried on publication. The disaster did not bring out the best in some: One policeman and two aldermen (council members) were caught appropriating relief money and supplies.

Like many western cities devastated by fire, Spokane Falls rebuilt rapidly after the disaster. Within a year its population had risen to 20,000, a threshold that allowed the city to adopt a charter. In March 1891 voters approved the new charter, including an article that changed the city's name from Spokane Falls to Spokane.

Blame Placed and Replaced

Earliest newspaper accounts contained only one explanation for the weak water pressure and failure to check the flames: that Superintendent of Waterworks Rolla A. Jones was away fishing or working on his steamboat -- accounts vary -- instead of tending his post, and that he had left the pumping station in the care of an incompetent substitute. S. S. Bailey of the City Council claimed to have run "to the pumping station as soon as the alarm was sounded and found that Superintendent Jones had left a man in charge there, who, by his own admission, was totally incompetent to handle the machinery, not knowing how to increase the speed of the pumps" (Spokane Falls Review, August 6, 1889) Other papers as far away as O jornal New York Times repeated this story almost verbatim.

To its credit, the City Council quickly appointed a Committee on Fire and Water to explore all possible reasons for the failure. Its report on August 14 exonerated Jones, but he resigned anyway. Refuting newspaper accounts, their report stated: "It appears that the man left in charge of [the] pumping station during the absence of Supt. Jones is competent and reliable and of twenty years of practical experience in machinery and pumps . ."

The committee attributed the failure of water pressure to a burst hose rather than dereliction of duty and further reported that some members felt "bad management on the part of the fire department should be considered as the main cause of such an extensive conflagration" (Nolan, 50). UMA Crônica editorial of August 6 agreed: "The need of a good paid department is evident. It should be one of the first things provided for when the city gets on its feet." Although this official interpretation of events was made known, Jones's culpability was already firmly lodged in the public mind and has been repeated in publications ever since.

Other factors besides weak water pressure contributed to the extent of the disaster. No doubt lingering smoke from forest fires delayed widespread awareness of the fire. The blaze started in a trash-ridden area of flimsy wooden structures. There was no citywide siren system. The pumping station had no telephone. The volunteer firefighters had inadequate leadership, were poorly equipped, and had to haul their own hose carts. After the fire, the city prohibited wooden structures in or near the newly rising downtown, installed an electric fire alarm system, and established a professional, paid fire department, with horse-drawn equipment.

Myths of History

Although they corrected these problems, city fathers may have been less than zealous about dispelling the Jones story. Gina Hames analyzed the Spokane fire from the perspective of historical myth-making, and concluded: "

Taking the blame for a disaster the size of Spokane's could have meant political and social ruin for these civic leaders." And the people of Spokane "wanted a simple answer. . They, like most people, wanted simplicity . to be able to vent their anger in a single direction, rather than rationally discerning that the fault actually lay with no one entity. Even historians can fall into this trap of 'monocausation' -- finding a single, simple explanation published in the earliest accounts and then repeating it indefinitely thereafter"(Hames, 15, 16).

O estado de Washington
Departamento de Arqueologia e Preservação Histórica do Estado de Washington

After the Great Spokane Fire of August 4, 1889, guard and workmen preparing to open vault of First National Bank, Spokane, August 1889

Courtesy A View of the Falls

Report on August 4 Great Spokane Fire, August 6, 1889

Courtesy Spokane Falls Review

View of devastation after Great Spokane Fire, north from Railroad Avenue, Spokane Falls, August 1889


RADIO MAINTENANCE

Offering keen competition to the technical skill of the Radio Repairmen were two omnipresent obstacles -- shortage of necessary repair items and working under adverse conditions. But these obstacles were not strong enough to hold back the expert repair and maintenance service the section rendered to the Division.

The peak of repair and production was reached when teams of the section took over control of one of the largest radio-producing factories in Germany and converted it to their own use. Production was continued, but this time for Uncle Sam.

Needless to say, there isn't a battalion or company in the Division for whom numerous repairs have been made on strange-looking GI radios. Many officers and men of the Division have brought their own sets around for check-up, hasty repairs, etc. And certainly all of these were not Special Service radios, either.


NWS Spokane Office History

The first weather office in downtown Spokane was at the Spokane Times Building as a Signal Service Corp office. Observations began in 1881.

Fires destroyed the office in 1884 and 1889. When the Weather Bureau took over, the office moved several times in downtown Spokane. It was at the Blalock Building, then the Jamieson Building in 1892.

The first Meteorologist In Charge, Charles Stewart 1880-1916 (left). The Jamieson Building around 1900 (right).

The weather office moved to the Empire State Building in 1908 and remained there for a few decades.

Empire State Building in the early 1900s

Weather Bureau - Felts Field

Weather observations moved to Felts Field in 1932. The standard weather balloon observations using helium began in August 1939. Meanwhile the Weather Bureau office moved all operations to Felts Field by January 1, 1941.

Felts Field in the early 1940s (left). Meteorologist In Charge, E.M. Keyser from 1916-1941 (right).

The Spokane Weather Bureau had a diverse staff with many duties, from surface to upper air observations.

Meteorologists view data from an airplane in 1935 (left). Evelyn Conan records weather balloon data in 1944 (right).

Weather Bureau - Geiger Field

The weather office moved to Geiger Field in December 1947.

Views of Spokane Weather Bureau at Geiger Field in the 1950s (left). Meteorologist In Charge, Robert McComb 1943-1957 (right).

Weather at Spokane International

The weather office moved into the terminal building of the Spokane International airport in May 17, 1965 and remained their through the 1970s. The weather balloon switched from helium to hydrogen in 1965.

Spokane Internal Airport Terminal Building in the 1970s (left). Meteorologist In Charge, Robert Small from 1957-1979 (right).

NWS Building at Spokane Airport

The office moved into it's own building on Nov 15, 1979 and stayed at this location until the mid 1990s. The Mt Spokane NOAA Weather Radio was installed in 1979.

A bird's eye view of the NWS Building at the Spokane Airport (right). Meteorologist In Charge, Ken Holmes from 1979-1994 (left).

NWS Spokane to Rambo Road

This move was the start of the NWS Modernization and more room was needed for the radar. While the airport location could not be sold to the NWS, Fairchild AFB had land available on Rambo Road.

This site on Rambo Road was a former communication building.

Office Construction

The office began construction in 1994 and finished in the summer of 1995. The change over from human surface observations to Automated Surface Observation System at the Spokane Office took place on September 1, 1995.

The framing of the office and finished building (left). Meteorologist In Charge, John Livingston from 1994-2016 oversaw the construction and the move of the new office (right).

Upper Air Observations

The upper air observations were moved from the airport to Rambo Road in September 1995. The first official weather balloon launch on Rambo Road was on September 22, 1995.

Doppler Weather Radar

The radar construction started in 1995 and completed in early 1996. The first and only weather radar in the Inland NW.

Weather Forecast Office

While the Spokane office had responsibility of its local warnings, The first forecasts and discussions originated from NWS Spokane in March 3, 1996.

NWS Spokane in the 21st Century

The NWS Spokane office is staffed 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. We have a strong commitment to our partners and our community across the Inland NW.

September 2020 marks the 25th Anniversary of NWS Spokane on Rambo Road!


Here are images of the preliminary plans and stages of current office.

Answers to the little known questions about the NWS Spokane office


Why did the NWS Spokane office move from the airport?

So how did the National Weather Service wind up on Rambo Road? In the early/mid 1990s, the NWS went through an extensive modernization plan. The central idea of this plan was to install a network of new doppler weather radars across the county. The radars are sometimes referred to as 88D, which stands for "1988 Doppler". New NWS offices would also be built for nearly every new radar

At the time of the modernization, the NWS office was located at the Spokane International Airport in a building in the middle of a large parking lot. You can still see that old NWS building today. But placing a tall weather radar at a growing airport didn't seem like such a good idea. So an alternate location was needed for the radar

Fairchild AFB owned some land north of the base on Rambo Road which was no longer needed. The Air Force was happy to transfer ownership of this land over to the National Weather Service, and that became the location of the radar and the new office.

So why did Fairchild AFB own 20 acres of land a few miles north of the base?

We wondered that as well, until one day, we had a visitor drop by the office. He had worked at this location when he was in the Air Force. And he had the answer to our question. According to this gentleman, back in the Cold War days of nuclear testing, the Air Force had a method of monitoring the globe for nuclear detonations to determine if a country had conducted a nuclear test. The technology monitored certain radio frequencies. Unfortunately, there was just too much radio interference on the base. So a location was selected a few miles away which would avoid the interference and allow the Air Force to "listen" to these radio frequencies for nuclear testing. As the cold war and nuclear testing ended, the need for the monitoring station on Rambo Rd ceased.

When the land was signed over to the NWS, two abandoned buildings still remained on the property. In the initial plan was to use one of the buildings for the NWS office. Ultimately, the building was found to have asbestos and was instead demolished. However, a storage building from those early days still remains on site and in use today. You can see it on our web camera.

What changed with the new office on Rambo Road?

Prior to the modernization, the NWS had a structure where about one office in each state would do the forecast for the entire state. Some of the larger states had 2 offices, and some smaller ones were shared by one office. In the Northwest, those offices were located in Seattle, Portland, Boise, and Great Falls. Smaller offices (like Spokane) had responsibility for issuing a forecast for the local metro area. In addition, the main mission of the Spokane office was:

  • Taking hourly weather observations for the airport.
  • Launching weather balloons twice per day.
  • Issuing thunderstorm warnings for Spokane and the nearby counties.

The Spokane NWS office staff at that time consisted of an office supervisor, three Meteorologist Technicians, two Meteorologist Interns, and two Electronic Technicians. The meteorologists worked shifts around the clock, with one person always there taking weather observations.

The modernization changed the old "two tiered" profile to one where 124 "equal" offices divided up responsibility of the country, largely based on radar locations and coverage. This brought additional staff and new duties to the office. The current staff of 25 includes 15 forecasters, a hydrologist, an IT specialist, and additional support staff. While we no longer take weather observations, we continue to do the weather balloon observations. In addition, we are responsible for a much larger area that covers most of eastern Washington as well as the Idaho Panhandle, 21 counties in all.

When did the move take place?

Construction on the new building began in 1994. This was actually a little earlier than planned. But a large wildfire (Tyee Creek) in the central Washington Cascades that summer had caused NWS officials to move up the timeline of the office and radar construction. The office and upper air (weather balloon) buildings were completed in the summer of 1995. At that point, 4 additional staff members had already been hired and were crammed into the little building at the airport. So the administrative and support staff for the office moved into the new building on Rambo Rd in July 1995.

The operational forecasting and observation program remained at the airport for a short time. Weather observations up to this point were taken with human observers. A new technology called Automated Surface Observing System (ASOS) was being installed at all airports, replacing the manual observations. The ASOS at Spokane Airport took over official surface weather observation duties at midnight, 1 September 1995. This allowed the operational meteorologists to move over to the new NWS building, officially beginning the start of operations at Rambo Rd.

The weather balloon launches still remained at the airport for a few more weeks. That program moved over to Rambo Rd later in September, with the first weather balloon launch taken on the afternoon of 22 September 1995. The radar would be constructed later that winter and went online in February of 1996.

The transfer of forecast duties from the Seattle and Boise offices took place in early 1996. The first official forecasts and discussions were released on March 3, 1996


Assista o vídeo: Spokane: The First 100 Years 1969 a film by Robert L. Pryor