Quem eram os Deer Touchers?

Quem eram os Deer Touchers?


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Há cerca de 20 anos li um artigo em um periódico (não me lembro qual periódico) sobre uma tribo de nativos (creio que eram norte-americanos) que tinham uma tradição de tocando veado vivo. Eles se despiriam em uma tanga, sufocariam seus corpos com cinzas de um fogo para mascarar seu cheiro, colariam grama e galhos em seus cabelos e então caminhariam muito silenciosa e lentamente (~ 80 segundos por passo) até o cervo. O teste era para ver se eles conseguiam se aproximar do cervo sem que ele percebesse ou registrasse que era um ser vivo, e arrancar um fio de cabelo de suas caudas como prova de sua realização. Algumas técnicas usadas eram tentar agir como um arbusto, balançando com a brisa, alguns homens pegavam seus cabelos estendendo os braços como galhos, deixando seus dedos pentearem o pelo do veado enquanto este passava ignorante de sua presença, puxando rapidamente um rabo cabelo no último segundo.

Estou tentando redescobrir essa tribo de pessoas, mas até agora não tive sorte em procurá-los. Alguém sabe quem eles eram?


"The Man Who Touches Deer", de Bill Heavey, Field and Stream, outubro de 2000, p. 44

O artigo é uma entrevista do autor naturalista Tom Brown, Jr., que afirma ter sido ensinado quando criança por um escoteiro Lipan Apache.


A história do cervo whitetail

Os cientistas acreditam que os cervos já habitaram regiões extremamente frias ao redor do Círculo Polar Ártico. Não foi até cerca de 4 milhões de anos atrás que o primeiro cervo migrou para o que hoje chamamos de Estados Unidos.

Os cervos eram parte integrante da vida dos nativos americanos. Carne e medula óssea constituíam grande parte de sua dieta. Os índios usavam peles como roupas, tapetes, cobertores, meia arrastão e similares. Eles criaram pontas de flechas, clavas, anzóis e ferramentas com ossos.

Os primeiros colonos da América se banqueteavam com vários animais, como perus e perdizes. Então eles descobriram o grande whitetail da Virgínia. Os nativos americanos ensinaram aos colonos como utilizar um cervo com eficiência, usando cada pedaço de carne, couro e osso.

Com o tempo, as populações de veados sofreram flutuações. O primeiro grande declínio foi relacionado ao comércio de peles. Os nativos americanos mataram cerca de 5 milhões de cervos por ano para abastecer o comércio. No início do século 19, devido ao declínio nas vendas de peles e à expansão natural dos cervos em novos habitats, as populações voltaram a crescer. No entanto, esse aumento não durou muito.

A caça desenfreada ao mercado no final dos anos 1800 reduziu a população de whitetail a um mínimo histórico de 500.000, e as corças e os dólares desapareceram completamente em algumas áreas. Em 1900, a Lei Lacy, a primeira lei federal sobre vida selvagem, foi promulgada. Lacy proibiu o tráfico interestadual de carne de veado e outros animais selvagens, e a exploração de whitetails começou a diminuir. Em 1908, 41 estados estabeleceram departamentos de conservação, promovendo a proteção dos cervos.

A Grande Depressão foi difícil para os americanos. Mas era hora de boom para whitetails no leste, sul e meio-oeste. Enquanto as pessoas vinham do campo para sobreviver nas cidades, fazendas abandonadas e locais residenciais geravam ervas daninhas, arbustos e mudas. Biólogos e desportistas começaram a perceber que a mudança de habitat nos Estados Unidos era boa para um número crescente de veados. Uma vez considerados habitantes de grandes florestas contíguas, os rabos-brancos seriam para sempre conhecidos como animais & # 8220edge & # 8221.

No final da década de 1950, um biólogo chamado Crockford desenvolveu um sistema de dardos para capturar cervos. Essa tecnologia, junto com futuras invenções como a rede de canhão, desempenhou um papel fundamental no reabastecimento bem-sucedido de whitetails nos Estados Unidos.

Em 1970, as populações de whitetail estavam crescendo de forma constante nos 48 estados mais baixos. Por anos, os caçadores consideraram um crime atirar em uma corça. Mas um estudo marcante em 1974 mudou isso. Cientista M.L. Walls descobriu que o manejo de longo prazo de rebanhos de cervos em crescimento deve incluir a colheita tanto de cervos quanto de fêmeas. Os Estados gradualmente começaram a implementar temporadas de caça & # 8220doe days & # 8221 e & # 8220antlerless & # 8217.

As populações de Whitetail continuaram a aumentar ao longo dos anos 1980 e & # 821790s. O manejo sólido dos cervos foi um dos motivos. E então houve expansão suburbana. Em muitas regiões, mais e mais pessoas construíram casas unifamiliares em áreas antes rurais, criando um tabuleiro de xadrez de & # 8220farmettes & # 8221 e pequenas propriedades. Os desenvolvedores criaram subdivisões, campos de golfe e shoppings em fazendas e bosques. Ironicamente, isso criou habitats de faixa e bolso ideais para o whitetail adaptável, que tem um jeito estranho de viver ao lado do homem. Essa tendência continua no novo milênio e tem suas desvantagens. Números crescentes de veados devastam arbustos, árvores frutíferas e plantações, causando centenas de milhões de dólares em danos anualmente no Centro-Oeste, Nordeste e Sudeste. As colisões de carros com veados estão aumentando em muitos estados.

Hoje, o rabo-branco, Odocoileus virginianus, é o cervo mais difundido do mundo. Os cientistas reconhecem 30 subespécies de cauda branca na América do Norte e Central e outras oito na América do Sul. A população de cauda branca da América do Norte e # 8217 é estimada em 20-25 milhões de animais. O whitetail é de longe o jogo mais popular nos EUA, perseguido por cerca de 11 milhões de caçadores a cada outono.


A história da John Deere - do primeiro arado aos tratores agrícolas

O trator John Deere é um dos ícones mais duradouros da vida nas fazendas americanas. A empresa de fabricação de tratores John Deere foi fundada em 1837 e a história de sua fundação está intimamente ligada ao desenvolvimento do arado de aço. O desejo da Deere de melhorar um projeto de arado imperfeito resultou na fundação do que se tornou a empresa líder de tratores do mundo por 177 anos, hoje conhecida como Deere Company.

A história do fundador da empresa remonta a 1804, quando John Deere nasceu em Rutland, Vermont. Ele começou a trabalhar como aprendiz de ferreiro aos 17 anos e abriu seu próprio negócio de ferreiro em quatro anos. O trabalho da Deere consistia em fazer garfos de feno, ferraduras e outros implementos necessários para a agricultura. A natureza do comércio escolhido, combinada com o clima econômico local, tornou necessário que Deere se mudasse de cidade em cidade. Aos 33 anos, ele decidiu se mudar para o oeste, indo descansar em Grand Detour, Illinois.

Muito do trabalho da John Deere & # 8217s envolveu consertar repetidamente ferro fundido e arados de madeira, provando a ele que esses desenhos de arados não eram fortes o suficiente para cortar o gramado da pradaria e o solo pesado de Illinois. Fazendo suas próprias alterações de projeto, Deere construiu um arado leve de aço polido com uma lâmina de serraria de aço quebrada. O arado que ele criou cortava o gramado resistente do meio-oeste com eficiência e era autolimpante, o que significa que podia limpar-se do gramado cortado, de forma que não precisaria ser constantemente limpo durante o trabalho. Em 1838, ele construiu e vendeu três de seus arados aos fazendeiros locais, 10 no ano seguinte e 40 no ano seguinte. A Deere se associou a Leonard Andrus e em 1846 eles eram capazes de fazer cerca de 1.000 arados.

Em 1847, Deere estava sentindo que os negócios seriam melhores em Moline, Illinois, localizada no rio Mississippi. Seria mais fácil e menos custoso transportar suas mercadorias pelo rio. Ele vendeu sua parte da ferraria para seu sócio e mudou-se para Moline. Em 1850, a Deere estava fabricando 1.600 arados por ano, bem como ferramentas adicionais para acompanhar os arados de aço. O arado de aço John Deere era considerado uma ferramenta agrícola de última geração na época. O material usado e a forma do arado foram revolucionários e evoluíram continuamente à medida que Deere ouvia os comentários de seus clientes e ajustava o design de acordo.

Em 1875, a John Deere introduziu seu primeiro arado montado. Era o arado amuado Gilpin, de duas rodas, movido a cavalo. Em 1888, arados movidos a vapor estavam sendo produzidos e em 1892 outro inventor, John Froelich, de Iowa, vendeu os primeiros dois tratores movidos a gasolina. Esses e muitos outros projetos iniciais de tratores movidos a gasolina tiveram seu início em Iowa, mas foi a John Deere Company em Illinois que saiu do pacote para se tornar a líder em equipamentos agrícolas.

Em 1971, o slogan & # 8220Nothing Runs Like a Deere & # 8221 foi introduzido para promover sua linha recém-lançada de motos de neve. Em 1983, a linha de motos de neve foi encerrada, mas o slogan permaneceu.

Um dos primeiros arados de aço da Deere & # 8217 está agora instalado no Smithsonian Institution.


O retorno do veado-de-cauda-branca

Há uma crença comum de que a conservação da vida selvagem tem sido uma proposta perdida. A destruição das manadas de búfalos, o destino do pombo-passageiro, são do conhecimento geral. Em nossa própria época, vemos o guindaste e o condor da Califórnia à beira da extinção. Mas a conservação da vida selvagem tem seus sucessos. E nada foi mais espetacular do que a restauração do veado-de-cauda-branca da Virgínia nas florestas do Oriente e do Oriente Médio.

Originalmente, cerca de trinta variedades (subespécies) do cervo de cauda branca ocuparam a América do Norte. A maioria habitava as franjas da grande floresta de madeira de lei oriental que ia da costa atlântica ao vale do Mississippi. A oeste das florestas predominavam veados-mulas e alces, embora alguns rabos-de-cavalo percorressem os matagais nas terras baixas em torno dos rios das Grandes Planícies. A pequena cauda branca de Sonora habitava os contrafortes ao redor do grande deserto do sudoeste, e bolsões de abundância local de outras subespécies ocorreram nas Montanhas Rochosas do norte e no noroeste do Pacífico. Ao norte de uma linha que vai de Minneapolis a Portland, Maine, densas florestas de abetos, abetos e pinheiros forneciam pouco alimento para os veados.

O whitetail alcançou maior abundância nas ilhas e ao redor dos pântanos das costas do Atlântico e do Golfo e nos matos e pastagens que separavam as madeiras nobres do leste e as Grandes Planícies. Nunca penetrou profundamente na madeira virgem das terras altas, onde as copas e ramos entrelaçados de árvores gigantescas sombreavam a terra, impedindo o desenvolvimento da exuberante vegetação rasteira que os cervos precisam para se alimentar. Mas mesmo nas terras altas quebras ocasionais no dossel da floresta permitiam o crescimento de alimentos para veados e a presença de veados. As margens do lago e dos rios sustentavam matagais. Os castores, comuns em todos os riachos do leste, ajudaram os veados com suas atividades de corte e inundação. Furacões e tornados cortam áreas que logo foram recobertas com mudas, arbustos e trepadeiras crescendo em meio aos frutos inesperados emaranhados.

A maioria dos índios orientais levava uma existência semi-nômade, mudando-se a cada poucos anos sob a pressão do ataque inimigo ou por causa de campos de cultivo esgotados. Todas as tribos da floresta usaram fogo extensivamente - para limpar canteiros de jardins e áreas residenciais, para minimizar o ataque surpresa, para conduzir a caça ou para melhorar a caça. Terras queimadas cercaram a maioria das aldeias indígenas por quilômetros, e qualquer terra abandonada ou não intensamente cultivada logo foi revegetada com alimento e cobertura ideais para veados. Na verdade, o índio provavelmente ajudou a criar muito mais veados do que matou.

Essa foi a maior parte da história do cervo oriental antes do século XVII. Quantos eram então ninguém sabe. Mas o padrão de exploração e colonização de brancos provavelmente deu uma impressão enganosa de abundância. A colonização começou nas planícies costeiras, como em Jamestown, ou em terras indígenas abandonadas, como em Plymouth, e a exploração do interior geralmente seguia os rios, passando por alguns dos melhores hábitats de veados no leste.

A agricultura colonial foi uma extensão dos métodos indianos, pois o homem branco também usou o fogo para limpar a terra. Mas a agricultura colonial era muito mais expansiva e raramente o homem branco permitia que a terra revertesse em floresta. Terras desmatadas não usadas imediatamente para novos assentamentos foram queimadas repetidamente para manter as pastagens. Um número crescente de bovinos, ovelhas, cavalos, cabras e suínos foi criado em grande parte em campo aberto e competiu com veados onde quer que se desenvolvesse uma variedade adequada de veados. Não muito depois da Revolução, a maioria das florestas virgens a leste dos Apalaches foi cortada e as terras queimadas - em muitos casos, não uma, mas dezenas de vezes.

Ainda assim, apesar da destruição de seu habitat, os cervos persistiram. Havia terras entre as cidades muito espaçadas onde a queima de luz e a extração de madeira melhoravam seu alcance. Havia pântanos - como o Pântano Sombrio da Virgínia - que desafiava a destruição por fogo e drenagem. Havia ravinas rochosas e montanhas muito acidentadas para agricultura ou pastagem. Todos esses cervos abrigados. Mas também forneceram refúgios para o puma e o lobo-da-madeira, tradicionais inimigos naturais do rabo branco. E eles logo se tornaram o refúgio daquele predador ainda mais mortal - o caçador de carne e mercado.

A carne de veado e a pele de veado tornaram-se produtos básicos da economia colonial com os primeiros desembarques em St. Augustine, Jamestown e Plymouth. Depois que o índio soube que um pernil de veado valia um metro de chita ou um machado comercial, ele prendeu, enlaçou e atirou em veados onde quer que os encontrasse. Em 1630, muitas tribos costeiras tinham acesso a armas de fogo europeias, e um caçador indiano com uma arma podia matar cinco ou seis veados em um dia.

Os cervos diminuíram rapidamente ao longo da costa atlântica ao longo do século XVII. Em 4 de fevereiro de 1646, a cidade de Portsmouth, Rhode Island, ordenou o encerramento da caça ao veado "de primeiro de maio a primeiro de novembro e se alguém atirar em um cervo dentro desse prazo, ele perderá cinco libras ..." a ordenação estabeleceu um padrão para as leis adotadas pela maioria das colônias em 1720.

O preâmbulo da lei de Connecticut refletia a preocupação oficial sobre o futuro do cervo: A matança de cervos em épocas fora da estação do ano foi considerada muito favorável ao prediudice da Colônia, grande número deles tendo sido caçados e destruídos em nevascas profundas quando eles são muito pobres e grandes com jovens, a carne e as peles de muito pouco valor, e o aumento muito prejudicado.

E em 1705 a Assembleia Geral em Newport, Rhode Island, observou que foi informada que grandes quantidades de veados foram destruídas neste Collony fora da temporada ... e pode provar muito para o dano deste Collony no futuro, e ... para todo o país, se não for evitado.

Houve condenações dispersas, mas nenhuma dessas leis coloniais foi efetivamente aplicada e, em meados do século XVIII, restavam poucos cervos para proteger perto das comunidades maiores. Os fazendeiros da fronteira ainda viviam da terra e pegavam sua carne de veado quando queriam. Ao longo das bordas do deserto em retirada, os caçadores do mercado de índios e brancos ainda vasculhavam os matagais em busca de caça em todas as estações, longe do alcance do “reeve de veados” mais próximo, o oficial designado para rastrear caçadores furtivos.

Depois da Revolução, ao longo dos vales do Ohio, Wabash, Cumberland e Mississippi, e na costa sul dos Grandes Lagos, a destruição da selva continuou em uma escala maior. E a essa altura os caçadores de mercado, ainda operando na vanguarda da civilização, haviam alcançado as orlas das pradarias, a parte mais produtiva da gama original de cauda branca. Uma extensa rede de canais, estradas e trilhos os mantinha perto dos mercados do Leste. Em um único dia em 1818, um grupo de caçadores no município de Medina, Ohio, matou trezentos veados, vinte e um ursos negros e dezessete lobos. (Em média, isso significava cerca de 12 cervos por milha quadrada.) No inverno de 1859, os caçadores de carne mataram o último cervo original de Iowa incubando-os na neve profunda. Abates semelhantes ocorreram regularmente em todo o Meio-Oeste, desde que veados pudessem ser encontrados em números grandes o suficiente para justificar o esforço.

Com a abertura do Oeste, o centro da atividade de caça ao mercado mudou para as Grandes Planícies e as Montanhas Rochosas. Lá, a maior parte da carga foi carregada pelo bisão, o pronghorn, o alce, o cervo-mula e a ovelha selvagem. Mas os trilhos brancos na faixa vulnerável ao longo das terras baixas das pradarias terminavam nos guisados ​​de trens de vagões, patrulhas de cavalaria e tripulações de barcos fluviais.

Na Nova Inglaterra e nos estados que fazem fronteira com os Grandes Lagos, o desmatamento e a caça de carne eliminaram a maioria dos cervos dentro de sua área de distribuição original. Mas a extração de madeira das coníferas do norte criou novas e melhores áreas de distribuição no norte. Em 1870, os cervos haviam se tornado comuns nos condados do norte de Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, New Hampshire e Maine, onde cinquenta anos antes havia poucos ou nenhum. Para o veado, entretanto, o corte das coníferas foi uma bênção duvidosa. Cada um dos campos madeireiros empregava caçadores para fornecer carne fresca para os lenhadores. E os caçadores de mercado, que agora haviam exterminado os cervos mais ao sul, migraram para a área recém-desenvolvida.

Usando cães, armas, armadilhas de aço e armadilhas de arame, um caçador habilidoso podia obter em média dez cervos por dia. Em dezembro de 1872, Litchfield, Minnesota, despachou seis toneladas de carne de veado temperada para os mercados de Boston. Em 1880, só os escritórios de frete em Michigan lidavam com mais de cem mil cervos com destino a Chicago e ao Oriente.

Essa matança direta já era ruim o suficiente, mas os incêndios que se seguiram à derrubada de árvores nas florestas de pinheiros do norte ao redor dos Grandes Lagos foram piores. No rastro do corte da madeira, um talho seco e cheio de piche - copas de árvores e galhos descartados - cobriu centenas de milhares de acres, esperando apenas uma faísca para acendê-lo. Uma das primeiras faíscas atingiu os stumplands contra o vento de Peshtigo, Wisconsin, em 8 de outubro de 1871. Antes de o incêndio se extinguir, ele devastou mais de 1.280.000 acres e extinguiu a vida de cerca de 1.200 pessoas (consulte “O Fogo Produz Vento: Wind Makes Fire ”, em AMERICAN HERITAGE, agosto de 1956). Os incêndios varreram o norte do país repetidamente até a virada do século, matando quase todos os seres vivos em seu caminho, incluindo veados, e convertendo milhões de hectares em terras devastadas onde nenhum veado poderia sobreviver.

Em 1880, cientistas e alguns conservacionistas pioneiros começaram a expressar preocupação com o futuro do cervo de cauda branca como espécie. Dez anos depois, a população de veados na América do Norte atingiu o fundo do poço. Os Apalaches e a maior parte do país a oeste das Montanhas Rochosas estavam praticamente sem veados. Rhode Island, Connecticut, Maryland, West Virginia, Nova Jersey, Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri e Nebraska contaram seus rebanhos de cauda branca em quase zero. O “último cervo” em Indiana foi morto perto de Red Cloud em 1893. O sul do Maine e o sul de New Hampshire não tinham nenhum.

Apenas as partes mais selvagens de Adirondacks, as montanhas do Arkansas, os pântanos remotos da costa sul e a costa do Golfo deram refúgio aos cervos. T. S. Palmer do U. S. Biological Survey (antecedente do Serviço de Pesca e Vida Selvagem dos EUA) estimou a população de cervos selvagens de cauda branca dos Estados Unidos e Canadá em 1890 em cerca de trezentos mil. Sua agência despendeu esforços consideráveis ​​em encorajar as pessoas a criar veados em cativeiro, uma vez que o futuro do rabo branco parecia depender daqueles mantidos em parques de veados cercados.

Mas mesmo com o declínio continuado, as sementes da restauração começaram a brotar. No norte da Nova Inglaterra e nas Províncias Marítimas, a extração de madeira estava convertendo as florestas de coníferas originais em florestas mistas de madeira de lei e caducifólias, ideais para veados. Solos rochosos e um clima inóspito desencorajaram qualquer invasão massiva da agricultura. Em 1890, os cervos haviam se espalhado por todo o norte do Maine e New Hampshire e nas profundezas de New Brunswick e Quebec, bem ao norte de sua distribuição original. Nesta região, o lobo, o único veado-predador significativo do norte, oscilou à beira da extinção.

A leste dos Apalaches, a era industrial mudou drasticamente os padrões de uso da terra. Milhares de agricultores marginais, incapazes de competir com a agricultura florescente do Ocidente, abandonaram suas fazendas desgastadas, conseguiram empregos em fábricas na cidade ou foram para o Ocidente. Na região sul do Piemonte, o bicudo, o fim da escravidão e a competição com os mercados estrangeiros forçaram o abandono de milhares de campos de algodão. A terra deserta logo foi invadida por pinheiros de rápido crescimento e rápido crescimento. Em 1885, havia milhões de acres de florestas de pinheiros "antigos" em maturação no leste dos Estados Unidos. O pinho sozinho é um alimento pobre para veados, e essas novas florestas sustentavam poucos veados, mas o amadurecimento dos pinheiros trouxe uma nova expansão madeireira para o leste que estava em pleno andamento em 1890. E quando os pinheiros foram cortados, eles foram substituídos pelos arbustos , floresta mista de madeira de lei e coníferas que torna a área ideal para cervos.

Coincidindo com o retorno desse habitat de veados em grande parte sem veados, estava o desenvolvimento do movimento conservacionista moderno. Pela primeira vez, mais do que algumas pessoas começaram a reconhecer valores na vida selvagem além dos mensuráveis ​​em carne, peles e penas. Em grande parte, esse conceito se originou, de forma um tanto incongruente, com os caçadores de esportes nas cidades do leste. Até cerca de 1830, a busca pelo esporte era basicamente um passatempo dos ricos. Mas a era pós-Guerra Civil havia produzido uma nova classe média com dinheiro, lazer e, muitas vezes, um desejo de escapar temporariamente da vida urbana. Hotéis e acampamentos luxuosos para turistas floresceram nas margens de lagos e rios selvagens. A maioria desses resorts oferecia, entre outras diversões ao ar livre, excelente caça ao veado.

À medida que o interesse pela caça recreativa se espalhou, os conservacionistas pioneiros buscaram maneiras de aumentar a oferta limitada de veados. As leis do jogo mudaram pouco desde os tempos coloniais. Em 1870, as temporadas de caça ao veado duravam de três a sete meses, os limites de bagagem eram inexistentes e o uso de cães, sinalizadores para caça noturna e salgadinhos eram práticas esportivas aceitas.

Gradualmente, um estado após o outro endureceu suas leis de jogo. Em 1873, o Maine adotou o primeiro limite de bagagem para veados - três para qualquer caçador em qualquer estação. Michigan e Minnesota impuseram limites de cinco cervos em 1895, e Wisconsin um limite de dois cervos em 1897. Semanas e até meses eram temporadas de caça theopen, e a maioria dos estados proibia totalmente a caça de cervos em condados onde os cervos eram escassos em 18g8. Massachusetts fechou todo o estado à caça de veados por um período de cinco anos. Na virada do século, todos os estados ao norte da Virgínia e do Arkansas haviam proibido o tiroteio noturno e o uso de cães para a caça de cervos. Além disso, nessa época quase todos os estados tinham uma agência oficial encarregada da proteção da floresta selvagem.

Muitas dessas reformas visavam diretamente ao caçador de mercado, cuja importância para a economia estava em declínio acentuado. A maioria foi iniciada e disputada por desportistas que organizaram associações de pesca e proteção de peixes politicamente potentes. O caçador de mercado foi finalmente forçado a fechar o negócio por uma lei federal (a Lei Lacey de 1900) que proibia o envio interestadual de caça morta em violação das leis estaduais.

Na virada do século, tanto o cervo quanto seu habitat estavam recebendo proteção real pela primeira vez. Seus velhos inimigos naturais quase se foram. As pessoas estavam lutando contra os incêndios florestais em vez de colocá-los e vê-los queimar. As agências florestais federais e de ardósia estavam replantando queimadas antigas. A cobertura estava voltando para a terra.

A resposta do cervo a essas condições quase ideais, principalmente no Nordeste, foi explosiva. Das ilhas de cobertura onde haviam sobrevivido precariamente por quase um século, os veados avançaram em todas as direções. As do norte da Nova Inglaterra se espalharam para o sul, para os condados agrícolas. Os cervos no sudeste de Massachusetts espalharam-se nos condados centrais e em direção ao sul em Rhode Island e Connecticut. O cervo Adirondack povoou Catskills, oeste de Vermont e Berkshires de Massachusetts. Em 1908, Ernest Thompson Selon, o naturalista mais conhecido da época, calculou que a população de cervos no Mississippi fosse cerca de quinhentos mil.

Essa disseminação e aumento naturais foram auxiliados por organizações esportivas e as recém-organizadas agências estaduais de jogos. Em 1878, um clube esportivo no condado de Rutland, Vermont, comprou dezessete cervos em cativeiro (dez deles dos detentores da Prisão Estadual de Nova York em Dannemora) e os soltou em bosques fechados à caça pelo estado. Em 1895, esse núcleo havia aumentado para várias centenas.

O sucesso do experimento de Vermont inspirou vários estados do leste a adotar uma abordagem semelhante. Na Pensilvânia, o sucesso foi quase inacreditável. Logo depois de 1899, a Comissão de Jogo da Pensilvânia começou a comprar cervos e soltá-los nas florestas estaduais. Em 1905, as primeiras unidades de um extenso sistema de refúgio de veados foram abastecidas com animais vivos presos em florestas estaduais. Dois anos depois, havia whitetails suficientes para justificar uma caça limitada. Em 1907, os caçadores ensacaram duzentos dólares em um estado onde não existia nenhum veado selvagem menos de vinte anos antes.

Em meados da década de 1920, os cervos pareciam estar em toda parte na Pensilvânia. Rebanhos de quarenta ou mais podiam ser contados ao longo de quase qualquer estrada rural à noite. Dezenas podem ser expulsos de qualquer lote de madeira. Eles estavam invadindo celeiros, campos de milho e pomares. Os carrinhos de bebê nos arredores de Harrisburg e Filadélfia ficavam frequentemente assustados com o bufo de um gamo assustado ou emocionados ao ver a bandeira branca de uma corça.

A grande bolha dos cervos da Pensilvânia estourou logo depois de 1925. Biólogos de caça começaram a notar que os animais capturados por caçadores estavam ficando atrofiados. O desenvolvimento do chifre era tão pobre que os esportistas reclamaram de ver até cem cervos por dia, mas nenhum com um chifre bifurcado que o tornaria uma caça legal. Então, no inverno rigoroso de 1926, o cervo começou a morrer. Eles morreram sozinhos, às dezenas, às vezes às centenas, em jardas de inverno cobertas de neve e superlotadas. Vernon Bailey, um importante especialista em mamíferos federais, registrou em poucas semanas mais de mil cervos mortos em quatro distritos de um condado.

O veredicto de Bailey confirmou que já alcançado pela Comissão de Jogo da Pensilvânia - uma redução drástica na população de veados tinha que ser feita se o estado quisesse salvar suas florestas e qualquer veado. As cordilheiras de inverno foram despojadas de toda a vegetação tão alta quanto a cabeça de um homem por milhares de veados famintos.

Até então, a Pensilvânia, como a maioria dos estados que então permitiam a caça de veados, permitia a cada caçador apenas um cervo com pelo menos um chifre bifurcado por ano. Mas um macho geralmente acasala com várias corças, e a maioria dos spikehorns e outros machos sublegais são capazes de procriar. Por causa disso, a população de veados dobrou a cada dois ou três anos, apesar da crescente matança anual de veados. E a cada primavera as corças estavam produzindo centenas de milhares de filhotes para os quais não haveria alimento no inverno. Em 1930, a Comissão de Caça da Pensilvânia, em face da oposição pública acirrada, declarou uma temporada de caça aos veados sem antílopes. Entre 1931 e 1941, os caçadores mataram mais de 725.000 veados em Penn’s Woods. Este tratamento severo, mas necessário, reduziu o rebanho de perto da marca de um milhão para menos de meio milhão. Nos anos que se seguiram, temporadas especiais regulamentadas de cervos sem chifre, agora geralmente aceitas como uma prática de manejo padrão, estabilizaram a população de cervos em cerca de quatrocentos mil.

No sul e no centro-oeste ao sul dos Grandes Lagos, a restauração do veado veio depois. Mas todos os estados dessas regiões lucraram com as técnicas desenvolvidas e os erros cometidos pela Pensilvânia, Nova York e Nova Inglaterra. Recentemente, em 1930, a maioria dos estados entre as Montanhas Rochosas e os Apalaches ainda tinha comparativamente poucos ou nenhum veado de cauda branca. Ao sul do Potomac, nos Apalaches, o único rebanho de cervos próspero estava na Floresta Nacional de Pisgah, na Carolina do Norte. Em outros lugares nos Apalaches, os montanhistas - com ou sem lei consideravam qualquer vida selvagem comestível como jogo justo a qualquer momento.

Durante a Depressão, muitas dessas famílias deixaram as colinas. Suas fazendas, e às vezes aldeias inteiras, foram absorvidas por florestas e parques estaduais e nacionais. Outra vasta área de habitat primordial para veados - ainda quase sem veados - desenvolveu-se rapidamente. E novamente o retorno da capa coincidiu fortuitamente com outro grande avanço no movimento de conservação da vida selvagem.

Até 1937, praticamente todas as agências estaduais de vida selvagem recebiam pouca ou nenhuma receita, exceto pela venda de licenças de caça e pesca. E muitas vezes as legislaturas estaduais desviavam grande parte desses fundos para a construção de rodovias e outros projetos não relacionados à conservação da vida selvagem.

Então, em 1937, o Congresso aprovou o Ato Pittman-Robertson Federal Aid in Wildlife Restoration. A lei reservou o imposto de consumo de 11 por cento existente sobre armas e munições esportivas para uso pelos estados no financiamento de projetos de restauração de vida selvagem aprovados. Também estipulou que, para ser elegível para fundos federais, um estado tinha que aplicar todas as receitas das licenças de caça para administrar sua agência de vida selvagem. Cada estado obedeceu rapidamente.

No Oriente, o veado-de-cauda-branca foi um dos primeiros beneficiários principais. Em um período de tempo notavelmente curto, os esforços de restauração em um estado após o outro deram frutos. Pequenos rebanhos residentes que sobreviveram aos dias sombrios da iSoo se multiplicaram e se espalharam. Os transplantes de alguns animais cresceram para milhares em poucos anos. E à medida que suas florestas se enchiam de veados, um estado após o outro reabriu sua há muito encerrada temporada de caça. Em 1965, quando o Kansas sentiu que tinha rabos brancos suficientes para garantir uma temporada de jogos abertos, todos os estados a leste das Montanhas Rochosas haviam se tornado novamente um estado de “grande jogo”.

Embora a caça seja desagradável para muitos, é, na ausência dos controles naturais originais sobre o crescimento da população de veados, essencial para o bem-estar dos veados e das florestas das quais eles dependem. No outono e no início do inverno de 1968, os caçadores nos Estados Unidos trouxeram para casa quase um milhão e meio de cervos de cauda branca, a metade dos que existiam em toda a América do Norte há apenas cinquenta anos! Mas isso era menos de um quinto da população de whitetail do verão.

Com quase toda a variedade adequada na América totalmente abastecida, este é provavelmente todo o cervo de cauda branca que as florestas da América podem suportar. Mas é o suficiente. Os esforços de conservação acertados ou errados do passado foram substituídos por pesquisa científica, aplicação da lei e gerenciamento de habitat. Na maioria dos estados, os regulamentos de caça flexíveis mantêm as populações de veados em equilíbrio com seu suprimento de alimentos e ainda garantem a sobrevivência a cada ano de um plantel mais do que adequado. Quanto ao futuro, a constante demanda da economia americana por produtos de madeira e por bacias hidrográficas protegidas deve garantir a manutenção dos grandes blocos de matas jovens que os cervos devem ter para se desenvolver. O veado-de-cauda-branca deve existir em grande número por muitos anos.


Deer Island: Uma História da Tragédia Humana Lembrada

In October, 1675 (Just five months after the start of the King Philip’s War, 1675-1676) some 500 Nipmucks from what is now South Natick were forcibly removed to Deer Island, a barren strip of land off Boston Harbor, as a concentration camp for Indians (later it would become a holding area for Irish immigrants fleeing the Great Famine (1800s), a major hospital (1847), a prison (c. 1882-1988), and now a wastewater treatment facility and national park), was established by the Massachusetts Council that same year. King Philip’s War, or Metacomet’s Revenge, as it came to be known, was the first large-scale military aggression in the American colonies and the bloodiest conflict between settlers and Indians in 17th century Puritan New England. Without adequate food, clothing, shelter or medicine, the pro-English Algonquian coverts, who had been converted to Christianity by the zealous Congregationalist minister from Roxbury named John Elliot, half of the Indians confined on the Island died of starvation or exposure during their imprisonment when John Eliot visited them in December, he could only report with horror, “The Island was bleak and cold, their wigwams poor and mean, their clothes few and thin.” These were the same Indians who once welcomed the English in 1621 with their Sachem, Massasoit.

In the years prior to King Philip’s War, Eliot worked with his devoted teacher (and servant of 35 years) Job Nesutan to learn the language. Later, Eliot worked with Nesutan and other Indians in translating the Holy Bible into the local Natick dialect of Massachusett or Massachusêuck (first published in 1663 at Harvard University) had taught hundreds of Indians to read and write and had established fourteen “praying towns,” Indian settlements built as Christian communities.

The first and largest was Natick, Massachusetts. Eliot took seriously his goal of conversion. He was convinced that only by being able to communicate with Native people in their own language could he achieve the goal of spreading Christianity prompting greater migrations of English to come to New England’s rocky shores as Indians were becoming more 𠇌ivilized” as a result.

However, from the very start of the war, the new English colonists became fearful of Eliot’s converts joining Philip’s reign of terror. Convinced of these fears, the Massachusetts Council ordered all Christian Indians to be barged down the Charles River in shackles and incarcerated on the island for the duration of the war. It was also known that slavers came to steal Indians off Deer Island to engage in the lucrative trade of human trafficking in Barbados or Jamaica.

But after enduring decades of fraudulent land deals, Massasoit’s son, Philip, determined to wage war to oust the colonists from New England and push them back over the sea from whence they came. He nearly succeeded. Beginning in June of 1675, not only Wampanoags, but Narragansetts, Nipmucks, and Pocumtucks rallied behind Philip to destroy the English.

To Puritan minister Increase Mather it seemed that the Indians had “risen almost round the country,” torching one town after the other. Before the final shots were fired over half of all the English settlements in New England𠅎verything west of Concord—had been laid waste. As Boston merchant Nathaniel Saltonstall explained in a letter to a friend in London, “Nothing could be expected but an utter desolation.” Philip’s Indians attacked and destroyed 25 frontier settlements: Andover, Bridgewater, Chelmsford, Cumberland, Groton, Lancaster, Longmeadow, Marlborough, Medfield, Medford, Millis, Plymouth, Portland, Providence, Rehoboth, Scituate, Seekonk, Simsbury, Springfield, Sudbury, Suffield, Warwick, Weymouth, and Wrentham, including what is modern-day Plainville.

The war ended with Metocomet’s death, August 12, 1676 with 600 colonists and 3,000 Native Americans dead, including several hundred native captives who were tried and executed others were enslaved and sold in Bermuda and elsewhere. The Deer Island prisoners were released, and over half of the Indians confined to the Island had died, others too sick to enjoy their liberty for long.

Almost 400 years have passed as we remember this tragic point in our collective history. The Deer Island Memorial Committee, headed by Executive Director Jim Peters, Massachusetts Commission on Indian Affairs, along with other committee members, had issued an RFP to create a memorial commemorating the Nipmuc Indians who died there. Lloyd Gray (Mohawk) has been contracted to create the memorial. It is anticipated that there will be a ceremony as part of the unveiling during the last weekend in October, 2013. It will be a time for reflection, commemoration and healing. In the language of Eliot’s Praying Indians, 𠇊yeuhteá࿊sh,” we stand firm (strong) and will continue to do so.


White-tailed Deer Timeline

1900 – Market/subsistence hunting and unregulated harvest eliminate nearly all deer from the state.

1917 –Total statewide deer population estimated at 500 animals. Legislature bans deer harvest.

1917 to 1922 – From western Oklahoma moving east, counties previously open to deer hunting are systematically closed to deer hunting.

1922 – All deer hunting in Oklahoma is prohibited.

1933 – First regulated deer season (five days) is held. Hunt is restricted to six southeast counties and Major County in western Oklahoma, resulting in the harvest of 235 bucks. Also, this year marks the beginning of safety regulations for wearing a red upper outer garment (later to become “hunter” orange).

1934 – No deer season authorized.

193537 Area is expanded to seven southeast counties only. Harvest total is 331 in 1935 375 in 1936 and 347 in 1937.

1938 – No deer season authorized.

1939-40 – Harvest totals: 384 in 1939 and 318 in 1940.

1941-43 – All deer hunting is closed. Many OGF personnel are called to active military service.

1943 – Deer restoration program started with the trap and transplant of 22 deer.

1944 – 379 deer harvested.

1945 – A total of 469 deer are harvested. Restoration efforts continue, with most deer trapped from either the Wichita Mountains NWR or Ft. Sill, but includes 50 captured from Aransas Pass NWR on the Texas Gulf Coast.

1946 – Participation in the deer gun season jumps to more than 7,000 (certainly due to returning World War II Vets looking for recreation). The first archery season (one day) is held. No deer harvested. A total of 35 deer are transplanted from the Wichita Mountains NWR to the U.S. Naval Ammunition Depot near McAlester (in less than a decade the military installation, now known as the McAlester Army Ammunition Plant, would serve as a source herd for trapping activities).

1946 – Oklahoma had its first archery season (1 day) on November 11, 1946, in seven southeast counties. No deer were harvested.

1949 – Special Archery season (five days) is designated only at Camp Gruber, resulting in the first buck taken by bow and arrow during a regulated season. The deer, taken by Roland Barber, is the state’s first archery buck and was a fallow deer. It was part of Camp Gruber’s small herd that had been established in the area during the late 1930s.

Photo (left): Roland Barber harvests the first deer taken with a bow and arrow in Oklahoma. The 120-pound fallow buck was harvested November 2, 1949, at Camp Gruber.

1951 – First whitetail deer taken by bow and arrow during a regulated season since the days that Native Americans hunted deer for subsistence is harvested by Larry Embry, Jr.,13. The deer was harvested at Camp Gruber.

Photo: Larry Embry Jr harvested the first whitetail at Camp Gruber on November 11, 1951, with a bow.

The Daily Oklahoma November 13, 1951, has the full story.

1954 – First statewide gun deer season (5 days) results in a harvest of 1,487 bucks.

1969 – First primitive firearms season (three days) is held, resulting in two deer harvested. Hunt is restricted to part of LeFlore County.

1970 – Statewide 16-day deer gun season. The total harvest of 6,882 bucks.

1972 –Nine-day deer gun season with all open counties and special two-day antlerless season. Total harvest 7,670 deer.

1975 – Cy Curtis Awards Program initiated by the Department to recognize trophy deer (harvested during the 1972 season and thereafter). For eligibility, whitetail deer must have a minimum typical score of 135 or a non-typical minimum of 150 using the Boone & Crockett scoring system. In the first year, only seven deer are entered. The program is named in honor of the man most responsible for the restoration of whitetail deer in Oklahoma.

1976 – Department begins broadscale antlerless harvest in 19 counties by issuing antlerless permits by special drawing. Total harvest 11,548 – 26 percent does.

1982 – Antlerless permit system deemed unpopular due to perceived inequities, and replaced by antlerless days available to all hunters. Total harvest 19, 255 – 23 percent does.

1986 –The Department ceases any further trap and transplant efforts with sufficient populations of deer available to repopulate all suitable habitats statewide.

1990 – Statewide deer population estimated at 250,000 deer. Total harvest 44,070 deer – 24 percent does.

1992 – Total harvest tops 50,000. Much to the surprise of many, a new state record buck is taken by an archer in Oklahoma County (Chris Foutz took the buck, which measured 179 6/8 typical score), proving that quality deer can come from just about anywhere in Oklahoma even the state’s most urbanized county.

Photo (left): Chris Foutz with 179 6/8 scored deer harvested with a bow in Oklahoma County on December 23, 1992.

1999 – Statewide deer population estimated at 425,000 deer. Total harvest yields 82,500 deer – 36 percent does.

2000 – Deer population levels spawn a multitude of stakeholder desires and management possibilities. For the first time, deer harvest numbers top 100,000.

2001 - First Special Antlerless season is held in December and expanded deer archery season in January.

2003 - First statewide youth antlerless deer gun season is held in October and yields 2,285 deer.

2004 - Statewide deer population estimated at 475,000 deer. Bowhunters set a new harvest record with 14,639 deer taken. Statewide harvest is 94,689 - 40% does.

2005 - Statewide harvest is 101,111 including 40% does. The number of counties that recorded more than 1,000 deer harvested increased to 43.

2006- Hunting regulations remain unchanged from 2005.

2007 – Not one, but two tremendous whitetail bucks are harvested from Pushmataha County during the deer gun season one by John Ehmer that scored an impressive 194 typical, and one by Jason Boyett that scored 192 5/8 typical. Boyett takes his buck on Nov. 18, surpassing the previous state record that had held the top spot for an entire decade (see Larry Luman photo below). Then just 10 days later, on Nov. 28, Ehmer takes his outstanding buck from the same county. By now, a total of 4,500 deer (including 19 mule deer entries) have been entered into the Cy Curtis Program.


2013- Physical deer check stations are replaced with an electronic check-in system, called E-Check. The Wildlife Department initiates the "Hunters in the Know Let Young Bucks Grow" campaign.

2014- Hunters are able to submit photos of their deer jaws, and have their deer aged by Wildlife Department biologists.

2015- marked the participation record for archery hunters for the third year in a row.


Facebook

Anyone who has stood on or driven along Ocean Springs' Beach or East Biloxi's Highway 90 has glanced or looked at Deer Island. They may have even wondered about this deserted island and its past history. The western and eastern tips are wind swept sand where mainly sea oats, grasses, and various small plants grow. The eastern and southeastern areas are mostly salt-water marshes with stands of pine trees sprinkled throughout. There are several bayous or inlets, some being large enough for a skiff to enter. The western and northern areas are covered with stands of pine trees and some oak trees. Through the years hurricanes have taken their toll by eroding portions of the southern shores and in 1985 Elena cut out a section of the western end.

Deer Island was occupied and used as hunting ground as early as 8,000 B.C. Artifacts from the four major periods of Native American history have been found on Deer Island. Those periods are Paleo Indian, Archaic, Woodland, and Mississippian Periods. During the Mississippian Period 1,000 A.D. to 1700 A.D. Native American artifacts indicate some early and late occupation but the largest occupation occurs from about 1200 A.D. to 1550 A.D. This corresponds with two Mississippian sites on the Biloxi peninsula. One site was on the east end of the southern shore and the other on the northern shore of the peninsula. The only thing that remains today is the artifacts and shell midden. Shell middens are areas where Native Americans discarded their refuse and other items. Some portions of the Native American sites on Deer Island are underwater due to eroding shorelines. Unfortunately those that are not underwater, pothunters and others have ravished for years. Pothunters are individuals looking for whole clay vessels. They dig the site up looking for these vessels but during the process they destroy the site and artifacts. They never record or report what they find because they know what they are doing is wrong and against the law.

The 1699 arrival of the French ushered in a new period along the Mississippi Gulf Coast and Deer Island. The French explored the whole Gulf Coast but it was not until 1717 that any indication of Deer Island being occupied. The Commissary M. Hubert petitions the French Ministry of the Colonies to grant him the concession, land grant, of Deer Island to raise rabbits. Later he withdraws his petition after learning that another inhabitant already has the Deer Island concession. Unfortunately he does not name the person who has the Deer Island concession. On November 2, 1738 M. Louboey, Governor of Louisiana, writes about Deer Island in a letter to M. Maurepas, Minister of the Colonies. He indicates that the small nation know as the Capinans have abandoned its village on the Pascagoula River and retired to Deer Island. The Capinans were a small tribe connected with the Biloxi and Pascagoula tribes. Their villages were located on the Pascagoula River when the French first arrived.

Records dated 1746 indicated that a cattle ranch is being operated on Deer Island by a settler who owns and operates a shallop (ship) of sixty tons. During the 1790s a Pierre La Fontaine, a ship owner from Deer Island has been paying tolls to enter St. John Bayou in Louisiana. It would appear that Pierre and the early settler may be one and the same.

On the twenty first of April 1798 fourteen persons on Deer Island were confirmed by the Bishop Francisco Penalver y Cardenas of the Diocese of New Orleans. Among the confirmed was 100-year-old Louis Christian Ladner as well as other Ladners, Cueves, Carquottes and other early gulf coast settlers. Between 1840 and 1850 Father Gerin, a Catholic priest from Biloxi, would visit Deer Island about once a month.

The Harrison County 1850 census lists 11 people living on Deer Island. These 11 consist of three families and one single person. Albertus King Aken 30 was listed as a farmer and being from New Jersey his wife Jane 26, Bay St. Louis their son Joseph 9, and Mr. Aken's sister Laura Aken 19. Mr. Aken at one time was lighthouse keeper at Cat Island. About 1865, Mr. Aken began harvesting the sap from the pine trees and set up a still from the manufacturing of turpentine. In 1917 L. Lopez Company, per an agreement with Mr. Aken, set the first shells for an oyster reef in the waters off Deer Island.

Joseph Field Aken, who grew up on Deer Island, would marry Harriet Waters of Horn Island during the Civil War. Harriet was born on September 18, 1839 in Pascagoula and raised on Horn Island where she first married Peter Baker on December 28, 1852 at the age of thirteen. Peter and Harriet struggled to make a living on Horn Island. Confederate and Union soldiers took cattle from the family. Final Harriet and her children left Peter who she later divorced. Harriet, in later years would be known as Grandma Aken along the Gulf Coast. On Deer Island she helped Joseph run the turpentine business and the oyster reefs. They lived by hunting, crabbing, fishing, oystering, as well as what could be raised on the island. Joseph died July 13, 1913, leaving Harriet to carry on and raise 17 children. Grandma Aken would also raise and give a home to 25 boys and a girl Rhoda Louise Williams. She continued to hunt and harvest oysters late in life. Even when she became almost blind she would not let that slow her down. She would set on her porch and knit fishing nets for the family.

In her young days it was said that she could handle a gun as well as any man.
She was considered an excellent hunter, swimmer, and she had walked every inch of Deer Island. During her active years she would row a skiff from the island to various locations on the main land.

Grandma Aken had reached her hundredth birthday in 1939. Friends and family journeyed to Deer Island with gifts and cakes for the happy occasion. Though she had been ill Grandma Aken sat in her large armchair and in her natural agreeable manner received her guests. Boats were secured for the occasion and guests were ferried to and from Deer Island. Rev. E.A. Demiller, rector of the Church of the Redeemer, conducted religious services on the island. In addition to Mrs. Aken’s birthday, her great granddaughter who was born the same day, Mary Jane Hall’s birthday was also celebrated.

Six months later Grandma Aken would die on Deer Island. The seawall was crowded with friends as her coffin was carried on the Sea Queen from Deer Island to Oak Street pier. She was interred at the Old Biloxi Cemetery, thus closing another chapter on Deer Island.

Grandma Aken was one of the most beloved and enduring individuals on Deer Island. Yet, one of the most interesting characters was The Hermit of Deer Island. Jean Guilhot, a Frenchman, who had operated a citrus grove in the Bahamas and a turtle soup cannery in Florida. He arrived in Biloxi in 1921at 46 years of age and began working as a barber. He met and married a widow, Pauline Lemiene, who with her son Elmer had a house on Deer Island. Elmer would later marry Rhoda Louise William, the adopted daughter of Grandma Aken, and have two children Elmer and Elaine who were born on Deer Island. On Deer Island he gave up being a barber and became an oyster fisherman. A few years later his wife died, but Guilhot continued to live on Deer Island and make his living by tonging oysters. During the 1947 Hurricane Guihot climbed a tree and weathered the wind and water. The storm flooded the island and destroyed his home but he built a new shack from driftwood. By this time his skin was like leather from the sun and saltwater. He lived on a diet of cheese, fruit, and various seafood but refused to eat meat.

In early 1950, Louis Gorenflo, captain of the tour boat Sailfish offered to pickup and deliver groceries to Guilhot. On a small pine sapling 75 feet from shore, Guilhot would place his grocery list and Gorenflo would retrieve the list and on the next visit return the groceries. At first Guilhot would only retrieve the groceries after the Sailfish departed. Gradually, he began to row out and meet the Sailfish. Later he would sing songs in French and English for the tourists. The tourists would take his picture and throw coins in to Guilhot's boat. On May 27, 1959, Guilhot died in his sleep at the age of 82. One account of his passing implies that it occurred on Deer Island. His family attests that he died at the residence of his stepson Elmer Lemien on Tucker Road in the St Martin community. According to the Bradford O’Keefe funeral records Jean Guilhot died at Latimer Route 2 Jackson County. Jean Guilhot’s death closed another chapter of history on Deer Island. The Hermit of Deer Island lives now only in the memories of those who knew and saw him.

One of the most interesting and short-lived developments on Deer Island occurred in June of 1915. The Deer Island Improvement Company purchased property from Grandma Aken and opened an amusement park. The park was equipped with dance pavilion 60 x 100 feet and featured a huge bath house with a roof complete with a garden and refreshments, fishing, row boat rentals, carnival rides, penny arcade, and daily concerts. Visitors were transported by a ferry system to and from Deer Island by way of the Lameuse Street pier. The company also sold property for cottages and camps, which in no time began to appear. The venture was a huge success but that fall the 1915 Hurricane hit the coast and wiped out the amusement park, several cottages, and summer camps. The investors never recovered and in 1917 the property was returned to Grandma Aken and her heirs.

After Grandma Aken’s death many of her decedents continued to live on Deer Island. From her first marriage to Peter Baker, a native of Arandahl, Norway, their children Frank Ben, Joseph, and Hannah Olena grew up on Deer Island. Baker Family history indicates that Peter Baker’s last name was originally Olsen but he changed it to Baker. From Grandma Aken’s marriage to Joseph Aken their 5 daughters Ella 1871, Nora 1873, Margaret 1875, Cora 1879, and Julia 1881were born and grew up on Deer Island.

Joseph Baker would marry Madeline Gelineo and move to Biloxi. He would be a carpenter by trade. Their children were George and Edward who lived in Biloxi and Marion who lived in New Orleans, Mrs. Henry Lechner and Mrs. Holly Ford of Biloxi. Joseph died on July 16, 1956 in Biloxi.

Frank Ben Baker was born on Deer Island July 6, 1869 and married Dorothy Ryan. Frank and Dorothy would live with their children on Deer Island. Their sons Ralph and Arthur would continue to live on Deer Island. Their daughters Vera would marry Fred Lusk and Dorothy would marry Elbert Meaut and move to Biloxi. Frank died on December 3, 1947 on Deer Island.

Hannah Olena Baker married James Wentzell and they had two children, J.W. Wentzell and Charles Wentzell. Ella Aken would marry William Thompson on June 29, 1892 and have one child named Ada and would make their home on Deer Island. Nora married Charles McCaleb on September 24, 1890 and lived in Biloxi. Margaret married Harry Edwards on March 1, 1893 and moved to New Orleans. Cora Aken would marry on November 12, 1893 in Biloxi to Thomas Kneale from New Orleans. They had seven children before she divorced Thomas. She never remarried but ran Kneale Grocery at 414 Nixon. She died February 6, 1943 in Biloxi. Julia Aken would marry Armond Rousseau and live in Biloxi.

One individual who purchased property from the Deer Island Improvement Company was Joseph Fortune Meyer. Some readers will recognize Joseph Meyer’s name from the art world. Joseph Meyer was born in France the son of Francois Antoine Meyer and Jeanne Francoise Bebin. The family moved to America and took up residence in Biloxi before the Civil War. Francois Meyer was a potter whose business and home was on Biloxi’s Back Bay. Francois would teach his son Joseph the pottery trade. Joseph Meyer would become friends with another Biloxian by the name of George E. Ohr. After the Civil War, the Meyer family relocated to New Orleans where Joseph operated a pottery. It would be in New Orleans that young George Ohr would be taught by Joseph Meyer the pottery trade. Both Joseph Meyer and George Ohr were hired by Newcomb College to instruct pottery classes at the Newcomb Art School. Today both men’s works of pottery are considered extraordinary art ware.

After Joseph purchased the Deer Island property he continued to live in New Orleans. His Deer Island home became a resort to escape the city life and enjoy the quietness. In a letter dated May 20, 1920 written to his daughter Norma, Joseph describes a visit to Deer Island. On May 16, Joseph indicates that his wife, Charles Wolfarth from Biloxi, and himself went to Deer Island. They found the weather cloudy and very windy. Joseph had written to Frank Ben Baker to meet them at Oak Street but upon arrival Mr. Baker had not shown up. Joseph thought the rough weather may have been the reason so attempts were made to signal to Mr. Baker from Riley’s wharf and then from Johnson’s Fish and Oyster wharf, but to no avail. Mr. Raley proposed to bring them over. Joseph indicated that the crossing was very rough. Upon their arrival they were greeted by Frank’s wife Dorothy Baker. She indicated that Frank Baker had gone across with son Arthur to secure Mr. Hewes’ boat that had broken loose and was a drift. After their visit the return to Biloxi was also affected by a terrific squall. They tried to signal someone to come and get them but it was too misty. During a lull Joseph convinced Mr. Sidney Reynolds to take advantage of the lull to return them to the mainland. Due to the squall some schooners had taken shelter between Deer Island and the mainland. When they reach a point about 300 feet off the anchored schooners the wind began to blow again from the east and just as they touched the wharf the rain fell in sheets. Joseph indicated that before to long they were perfectly drenched.

In another letter Joseph describe the serenity of the Island. Until his death on March 16, 1931 Joseph continued to visit Deer Island on regular bases. The Baker family would refer to Joseph Meyer very affectionately as Uncle Joe. Like Grandma Aken and The Hermit of Deer Island Joseph Meyer would also leave his mark of society.

Frank Ben and Dorothy Baker’s descendants continued to live on Deer Island. One son Ralph eventually moved from Deer Island to Biloxi. Of their two daughters, Vera married Fred Lusk and Dorothy married Elbert Meaut, and both moved to Biloxi. Their son Arthur would continue to live on Deer Island. While Arthur was a young man, Joseph “Uncle Joe” Meyer had introduce him to his future wife, Eva Walther of New Orleans. Arthur and Eva married and had six children: Arthur, Frank, Donald, Alvin, Ronald, and Fred. They raised their six boys on Deer Island. When their son Ronald married Velma Demet, they made their home on Deer Island. Three of Ronald and Velma’s six children David, Larry, and Cynthia, would begin their lives on Deer Island.

The Aken and Baker families had lived on Deer Island for six generations. What one has to realize is that Deer Island was continually occupied from the 1700s to 1969. During the 1800s to early 1900s, life on Deer Island would be view as a typical way of life for the times. Yet with the advent of electrical power to homes all along our coast, there began a change and a new way of life. On Deer Island life continued the same as before electric with the exception of a 32 volt system of lights generated by storage batteries. Of course, one would turn the light on, take care of business, and then turn the light off. By the mid 1950s, the Baker family added a gasoline generator to power the lights and other appliances. Free flowing artesian water was fed from the well to a gravity tank to furnish the family’s water needs. Weekly, the Family would secure grocery items from Esse Gonsoulin’s Grocery & Market located at 1101 East Beach. One of the interesting facts about the Baker family was that the children attended the Biloxi Public Schools by taking a boat to Oak Street in Biloxi in the morning and back in the afternoon.

The Baker family lived on Deer Island until the events of August 1969. Hurricane Camille had entered the Gulf of Mexico and was threatening Mississippi and Louisiana. On Sunday morning August 17, Arthur and Eva Baker gathered their family and left their home unaware that it would be the last time. That evening Camille came ashore as a category 5 storm causing unbelievable destruction. After Camille the Baker family would live on two boats tied to the Baker Pier on Deer Island for 3 months. The two boats were the Doris Mae and the Progress. The family finally left Deer Island the first week of November and moved to Biloxi. This ended a long line of Bakers, and Aken family members who had lived their lives on Deer Island. Even though the Baker family still owns three sections of Deer Island, no one has officially lived on Deer Island since 1969. Yet to the Baker and Aken family decedents Deer Island has remained a place for family socials and their play ground.

We have discussed Deer Island early Native American history, its colonial
history and some of its most enduring individuals. We have yet to touch on
the legends and tales that embraced Deer Island, our coast, and our culture.
There has been numerous tales of pirates and of gold being buried on the
barrier islands. One of the most interesting stories appeared in the Biloxi
Herald on April 1, 1902. It seems that an elderly Biloxian, who was not
identified by the paper, told this story to the editor. In 1859 an elderly
gentlemen by the name of Senor Cardenas was a passenger on the steamboat
Creole that was headed to Biloxi. When he became ill Captain Charles
Walker asked the Biloxian to care for Senor Cardenas. The Biloxian stayed in
the cabin with Senor Cardenas and cared for him but Senor Cardenas died
during passage. Per Senor Cardenas request, Captain Walker handed the
Biloxian a sealed letter and a note. In the note Senor Cardenas asked the
Biloxian to have his remains shipped to New Orleans and to keep the sealed
letter until someone called for it.

On February 17, 1902 (some 43 years later) Senor Cardenas son appeared at the Biloxian's door. After receiving and reading the letter Don Cardenas asked the Biloxian if a tree grew in Biloxi with a ring created by nature in its limbs. The Biloxian says yes and took him to location of the oak refereed to as the Ring in the Oak. Don Cardenas climbed the tree and took his bearings off the ring to a location on Deer Island. The Biloxian and Don Cardenas rowed over to Deer Island and using the instructions in the letter dug up a metal box and two old swords. According to the story the box contained gold coins of Spanish origin. The Biloxian received a handsome reward and Don Cardenas returned to New Orleans. The article indicated if you don't believe the story go to J. B. Lemon's drug store in Biloxi and look at the sword and old coins he had placed there. One interesting note is that the Cardenas mentioned here spell their names the same as Bishop Cardenas who confirmed the families on Deer Island in 1798.

The stories of ghost, pirates, civil war, storms, and other legends have haunted Deer Island for centuries. Several proposed developments have occurred from the 1950s to the present, but Deer Island has weathered all of them. Just like the aftermath of a hurricane, Deer Island is a little battered but it seems to restores itself in time. It may be that Grandma Aken and The Hermit of Deer Island taught us a lesson that must be read from in-between-the-lines. That is, it may be better to conform to Deer Island and the life it offers instead of trying to conform Deer Island to us. The State of Mississippi recently purchased a large section of Deer Island with exception to the western sections owned by Baker family descendents. Only time will tell what will become of Deer Island, thus closing another chapter in Mississippi Coast History.

The Biloxi Herald, April 1, 1902
The Biloxi Herald, February 22, 1896 page 8 columns 1, Peter Baker
The Biloxi Herald, Saturday July 12, 1913, Joseph Aken, Old Biloxian Dead
The Biloxi Herald, September 18, 1939, Grandma Aken turn 100 years, page 9
Times Picayune, March 22, 1940 Harriet Aken 100 dies, page 1
The Biloxi Herald, March 24, 1940, Deer Island Resident Today Celebrates Century of Life Grandma Aken death
The Daily Herald, January 4, 1928, Page 10, Column 4, Joseph Meyer Lived in Biloxi
A History of Mississippi, edited by Richard Aubrey McLemore, Volume One
Mississippi Provincial Archives French Domination by Rowland, Sanders, and Galloway
Joseph Meyers Letters, Ohr/O’Keefe Museum of Art collection.
Stevens Collection located in the Historical & Genealogical Section of the Biloxi Library
Oral Baker Family History from conversations with Alvin Baker, Arthur Baker, and Cynthia Baker Powell.
Lemein Family History conversation with Mrs. Elaine Lemein Rolls
Aken Family History from emails with Elaine Kneale Knafla.


Você sabia?

  • In 2019, 164,939 youth participated in the Seedlings for Schools program, an increase of 4,663 children.
  • 67 schools across the Commonwealth benefitted from a new Pollinator Garden program that teaches youth about pollinating insects and the value of creating a habitat for them.
  • The PA Game Commission’s Howard Nursery administers the Seedlings for School program and Wildlife for Everyone helps subsidize this free program for students.

© 2006 - 2021 Wildlife for Everyone All rights reserved.
Wildlife for Everyone, 341 Science Park Rd., Suite 103, State College, PA 16803-2287
(814) 238-8138 [email protected]

Design Copyright 2006 - 2021 Blue Banana Designs
Web site designed, developed, and hosted by
Blue Banana Designs - Web Site Design, Web Site Hosting, E-commerce


How did the white deer herd at the former Seneca Army Depot get started and why has it lasted?

The white deer at the former Seneca Army Depot in Romulus have been protected since the late 1940s by the fence that has surrounded the depot. They now number about 200.

(Stephen D. Cannerelli [email protected])

Romulus, N.Y. -- How did white, white-tailed deer at the former Seneca Army Depot get there and why has the herd lasted so long?

The depot, which was hurriedly built back in 1941 as World War II loomed, was fenced in for security reasons. And within that 24 miles of fenced in land were several dozen, regular brown-colored white-tailed deer and numerous other wildlife.

The history of the white deer herd at the depot, the world's largest, traces its roots back to 1949, when the depot's commander, Col. Franklin Kemble, was first alerted of their presence and gave orders not to shoot them.

Kemble told his men, "'If any of you guys shoot them, you're on the next plane to Greenland," said Dennis Money, president of Seneca White Deer and a retired project environmental analyst who worked at Rochester Gas and Electric.

The white deer were not albinos, which have pink eyes. These deer simply carried a recessive gene for white hair. They had brown or gray eyes.

The white ones lived and interbred with the brown deer. The combined, protected herd continued to grow and by the mid-1950s numbered more than 2,000. Two tough winters, though, resulted in a number of them starving.

The military teamed up with the state Department of Environmental Conservation and devised a plan to keep the herd healthy and genetically solid, Money said. They started offering nearly two weeks of hunting each fall, attended by past and current military personnel, along with (now former) civilian employees at the depot. The depot staff also planted food plots and mowed the grass in certain sections to encourage the growth of plants that the deer savor.

At first only brown deer could be shot, but in time the white deer were numerous enough to be included. Currently, the numbers of hunters are restricted to about a little more than three dozen a day and they have to participate in a lottery to see who gets to shoot white ones, said Stephen Absolom, the depot's environmental coordinator and installation manager in a 2010 interview.


When I was a boy I learned about a tribe of natives (Lipan Apache) that had an initiation into manhood which involved plucking a hair from the tail of a live deer. These people had developed a mode of stealth that allowed them to walk right up to deer–head on–without the deer sensing their presence or noticing their advance. I adopted the technique for moving through the woods silently, but never to the point where I could stealthily touch a deer.

I'll skip the masking your scent and disguising your appearance parts and just give you the silent walking part.

First of all, you must have good balance, so take a semi-squat stance to lower you body weight. With each step, you will balance on one foot, while you test the ground ahead of you with the smallest toe of your other foot. You want to plant your foot where it isn't going to make any noise, first touch the ground with your small toe, using it to part the grass or move leaves, then gently rock onto your lateral arch down to your heel as you shift your weight onto your forward foot and flatten it out onto the ground, the last part of your foot to touch the ground is your big toe. Complete the step by transferring all your weight to your forward foot, then feel ahead with the other.

The deer touchers did this very slow, averaging about 80 seconds per step, in a breeze they could rock with the grass and branches and go about 60 seconds a step. The super slow speeds were so the deer wouldn't register them moving, even if they were staring straight in their direction.

When nothing's watching you you can move quickly through the woods stepping this way, just touch with your small toe first and ease into each step, when you get good you tend to glide more than you stride. The part to practice is making contact with the ground without making a crunch, it's easy to do on a path, but harder to do when moving through the bush.

As far as what clothes and shoes to wear: the deer touchers went barefoot and wore nothing but a loincloth and ash from a fire, but any soft soled shoe will work for foot wear, toeshoes would be the best. For clothing you don't want to wear anything synthetic, nylon and polyester make that whishing sound when you walk. Soft cotton or wool is best for moving silently, think ninja knickers, light and breathable.


Assista o vídeo: The BRUTAL And SADISTIC Torture Of Anne Askew