Estatueta de Fundação de um Deus Ajoelhado

Estatueta de Fundação de um Deus Ajoelhado


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.


Estátuas de pedra do Mississipio

o Estátuas de pedra do Mississipio são artefatos de pedra polida em forma de estatuetas humanas feitas por membros da cultura do Mississippi (800 a 1600 dC) e encontrados em sítios arqueológicos no meio-oeste e sudeste americano. [1] Existem dois estilos distintos: o primeiro é um estilo de argila pederneira esculpida encontrada em uma ampla área geográfica, mas acredita-se que seja da área de American Bottom e fabricado no local de Cahokia, especificamente, o segundo é uma variedade de pedras esculpidas e polidas disponíveis localmente encontrada principalmente na região de Tennessee-Cumberland e no norte da Geórgia (embora existam isolados desse estilo em outras regiões). Os primeiros exploradores europeus relataram ter visto estátuas de pedra e madeira em templos nativos, mas a primeira descoberta moderna documentada foi feita em 1790 no Kentucky e dada como um presente a Thomas Jefferson. [1]


Um Apelo à Bandeira do Céu

Durante os primeiros dias da Guerra pela Independência - enquanto a fumaça das armas ainda cobria os campos de Lexington e Concord e os canhões ainda ecoavam em Bunker Hill - a América enfrentou inúmeras dificuldades e uma série de decisões difíceis. Sem surpresa, a escolha de uma bandeira nacional permaneceu sem resposta por muitos meses devido a questões mais urgentes, como providenciar uma defesa e formar o governo.

No entanto, uma bandeira ainda era necessária para os militares, a fim de diferenciar as forças americanas recém-forjadas daquelas dos britânicos que se aproximavam. Várias bandeiras temporárias foram rapidamente empregadas para satisfazer a necessidade. Um dos padrões mais famosos e difundidos erguidos em mastros de bandeira tanto em terra quanto no mar foi o “Pinetree Flag,” ou às vezes chamado “Um Apelo ao Céu” bandeira.

Como o nome sugere, esta bandeira foi caracterizada por ter uma árvore (mais comumente considerada um pinheiro ou um cipreste) e a leitura do lema “Um apelo ao Céu.” Normalmente, eles eram exibidos em um campo branco e frequentemente usados ​​por tropas, especialmente na Nova Inglaterra, já que a árvore da liberdade era um símbolo proeminente do norte para o movimento de independência. [I]

Na verdade, antes da Declaração de Independência, mas após o início das hostilidades, a Bandeira Pinetree era uma das bandeiras mais populares para as tropas americanas. De fato, “Estão registrados na história daqueles dias muitos exemplos do uso da bandeira do pinheiro entre outubro de 1775 e julho de 1776.”[ii]

Algumas das primeiras batalhas e vitórias da América foram travadas sob uma bandeira que declarava “Um apelo ao Céu.” Alguns historiadores documentam que as tropas do general Israel Putnam em Bunker Hill usaram uma bandeira com o lema e, durante a Batalha de Boston, as baterias flutuantes (barcaças flutuantes armadas com artilharia) hastearam orgulhosamente a famosa Bandeira Pinetree branca. [Iii] Em janeiro de 1776, o Comodoro Samuel Tucker hasteava a bandeira enquanto capturava com sucesso um transporte de tropas britânicas que tentava socorrer as forças britânicas sitiadas em Boston. [Iv]

A bandeira Pinetree foi comumente usada pela Marinha Colonial durante este período da guerra. Quando George Washington encomendou os primeiros navios militares oficialmente sancionados para a América em 1775, o coronel Joseph Reed escreveu aos capitães pedindo-lhes que:

Por favor, fixe alguma cor particular para uma bandeira, e um sinal pelo qual nossos navios possam se conhecer. O que você acha de uma bandeira com fundo branco, uma árvore no meio, o lema ‘Apelo ao Céu’? Esta é a bandeira de nossas baterias flutuantes. [V]

Nos meses seguintes, a notícia se espalhou até mesmo pela Inglaterra de que os americanos estavam empregando essa bandeira em seus navios de guerra. Um relatório de um navio capturado revelou que, “A bandeira tirada de um provinciano [Americano] corsário está agora depositado no almirantado, o campo é uma bandeira branca, com uma árvore verde espalhada o lema, ‘Apelo ao Céu’ ”.[vi]

À medida que as escaramuças se desdobraram em uma guerra total entre os colonos e a Inglaterra, a bandeira Pinetree com sua oração a Deus tornou-se sinônimo da luta americana pela liberdade. Um mapa antigo de Boston refletia isso mostrando uma imagem lateral de um casaca vermelha britânica tentando arrancar esta bandeira das mãos de um colono (veja a imagem à direita). [Vii] O lema principal, “Um Apelo ao Céu,” inspirou outras bandeiras semelhantes com lemas como “Um apelo a Deus,” que também costumava aparecer nas primeiras bandeiras americanas.

Para muitos americanos modernos, pode ser surpreendente saber que um dos primeiros lemas e bandeiras nacionais foi “Um apelo ao Céu.” De onde se originou essa frase e por que os americanos se identificaram com ela?

Para entender o significado por trás da Bandeira Pinetree, devemos voltar ao influente Segundo Tratado de Governo (1690). Neste livro, o famoso filósofo explica que quando um governo se torna tão opressor e tirânico que não resta mais nenhum remédio legal para os cidadãos, eles podem apelar para o Céu e então resistir a esse governo tirânico por meio de uma revolução. Locke recorreu à Bíblia para explicar seu argumento:

Para evitar este estado de guerra (onde não há apelo senão para o Céu, e onde toda a menor diferença pode acabar, onde não há autoridade para decidir entre os contendores) é uma grande razão para os homens se colocarem na sociedade e desistirem [deixando] o estado de natureza, pois onde há uma autoridade - um poder na terra - do qual se pode obter alívio por recurso, aí a continuação do estado de guerra é excluída e a controvérsia é decidida por esse poder. Se houvesse tal tribunal - qualquer jurisdição superior na terra - para determinar o direito entre Jefté e os amonitas, eles nunca haviam entrado em estado de guerra, mas vemos que ele foi forçado a apelar para o céu. O senhor juiz (diz ele) ele julga este dia entre os filhos de Israel e os filhos de Ammon, Judg. XI. 27. [viii]

Locke afirma que quando sociedades são formadas e sistemas e métodos de mediação podem ser instituídos, o conflito armado para resolver disputas é o último recurso. Quando não restar mais nenhuma autoridade terrena superior à qual duas partes em conflito (como nações soberanas) possam apelar, a única opção que resta é declarar guerra na afirmação de certos direitos. Isso é o que Locke chama de apelo ao céu porque, como no caso de Jefté e dos amonitas, é Deus no céu quem decide quem serão os vencedores.

Locke continua explicando que quando o povo de um país “Não têm apelo na terra, então eles têm a liberdade de apelar para o Céu sempre que julgarem a causa do momento suficiente [importância].”[ix] No entanto, Locke adverte que apelos ao Céu por meio de uma guerra aberta devem ser séria e sombriamente considerados de antemão, uma vez que Deus é perfeitamente justo e punirá aqueles que pegarem em armas por uma causa injusta. O estadista inglês escreve que:

aquele que apela para o Céu deve ter certeza de que tem direito a seu lado e um direito a que vale a pena o problema e o custo do recurso, pois ele responderá em um tribunal que não pode ser enganado [o trono de Deus] e terá a certeza de retribuir a todos de acordo com as maldades que ele criou para seus companheiros súditos, ou seja, qualquer parte da humanidade. [x]

O fato de Locke escrever extensivamente sobre o direito a uma revolução justa como um apelo ao Céu torna-se extremamente importante para os colonos americanos à medida que a Inglaterra começa a retirar seus direitos. A influência de seu Segundo Tratado de Governo (que contém sua explicação de um apelo ao Céu) sobre os primórdios da América está bem documentado. Durante as décadas de 1760 e 1770, os fundadores citaram Locke mais do que qualquer outro autor político, totalizando 11% e 7%, respectivamente, de todas as citações totais durante essas décadas de formação. [Xi] De fato, signatário da Declaração de Independência Richard Henry Lee uma vez brincou que a Declaração havia sido amplamente“Copiado do Tratado sobre o Governo de Locke.”[xii]

Portanto, quando chegou a hora de se separar da Grã-Bretanha e do regime do rei George III, os líderes e cidadãos da América entenderam bem o que foram chamados a fazer. Entrando em guerra com sua pátria mãe, que era uma das principais potências globais na época, os colonos entenderam que somente apelando para o Céu eles poderiam esperar ter sucesso.

Por exemplo, Patrick Henry fecha seu infame “Me dê liberdade” discurso, declarando que:

Se desejamos ser livres - se pretendemos preservar invioláveis ​​aqueles privilégios inestimáveis ​​pelos quais temos lutado por tanto tempo - se não pretendemos abatidamente abandonar a nobre luta em que estivemos há tanto tempo engajados e que nos comprometemos para nunca abandonar - devemos lutar! - Repito, senhor, devemos lutar !! Um apelo às armas e ao Deus dos Exércitos é tudo o que nos resta! [Xiii]

Além disso, Jonathan Trumbull, que como governador de Connecticut foi o único governador real a reter sua posição após a Declaração, explicou que a Revolução começou somente depois que repetidas súplicas ao Rei e ao Parlamento foram rejeitadas e ignoradas. Ao escrever para um líder estrangeiro, Trumbull esclareceu que:

No dia 19 de abril de 1775, a cena de sangue foi aberta pelas tropas britânicas, pelo massacre não provocado das tropas provinciais em Lexington e Concord. As colônias adjacentes pegaram em armas em sua própria defesa e o Congresso se reuniu novamente, novamente solicitou ao trono [o rei inglês] a paz e o estabelecimento e novamente suas petições foram desdenhosamente desconsideradas. Quando todo vislumbre de esperança falhou, não só de justiça, mas de segurança, fomos compelidos, pela última necessidade, a apelar ao Céu e apoiar a defesa de nossas liberdades e privilégios no favor e proteção da Providência Divina e na resistência que poderíamos fazer. opondo força a força. [xiv]

A explicação de John Locke sobre o direito à revolução justa permeou o discurso político americano e influenciou a direção que o jovem país tomou quando finalmente foi forçado a apelar para o Céu a fim de reivindicar seus direitos inalienáveis. Os púlpitos da igreja também trovejaram com mais exegese bíblica sobre a importância de apelar a Deus por uma reparação final das queixas, e os pastores por décadas após a guerra continuaram a ensinar sobre o assunto. Por exemplo, um sermão de 1808 explicou:

A guerra foi chamada de apelar para o céu. E quando podemos, com plena confiança, fazer o apelo, como Davi, e pedir para sermos prosperados de acordo com a nossa justiça e a pureza de nossas mãos, que força e animação isso nos dá! Quando o ilustre Washington, em um estágio inicial de nossa disputa revolucionária, comprometeu a causa daquela maneira solene. “Que aquele Deus que você invocou, julgue entre nós e você”, como nossos corações brilhavam por termos um motivo para cometer! [Xv]

Assim, quando os primeiros milicianos e oficiais da Marinha hastearam a Bandeira Pinetree estampada com seu lema “Um apelo para o céu,” não foi um ato aleatório com pouco significado ou significado. Em vez disso, eles procuraram marchar para a batalha com o reconhecimento da Providência de Deus e sua confiança no Rei dos Reis para corrigir os erros que sofreram. A Bandeira Pinetree representa uma parte vital da história da América e um passo importante na jornada para alcançar uma bandeira nacional durante os primeiros dias da Guerra pela Independência.

Além disso, a Bandeira Pinetree estava longe de ser o único símbolo nacional que reconhece a confiança da América na proteção e Providência de Deus. Durante a Guerra da Independência, outros lemas e gritos de guerra incluíam sentimentos semelhantes. Por exemplo, a bandeira retratada à direita trazia a frase “Resistência aos Tiranos é Obediência a Deus”, que veio de um sermão anterior de 1750 do influente Rev. Jonathan Mayhew. [xvi] Em 1776 Benjamin Franklin até sugeriu que esta frase fosse parte do Grande Selo da nação. [xvii] O pensamento e a filosofia dos americanos eram tão fundamentados em uma perspectiva bíblica que mesmo um relatório parlamentar britânico em 1774 reconheceu que, “Se você perguntar a um americano,‘ Quem é seu mestre? ’Ele dirá que não tem nenhum - nem governador além de Jesus Cristo.” [xviii]

Esse foco centrado em Deus continuou ao longo de nossa história após a Guerra Revolucionária. Por exemplo, na Guerra de 1812 contra a Grã-Bretanha, durante a Defesa do Forte McHenry, Francis Scott Key escreveu o que se tornaria nosso Hino Nacional, resumindo essa perspectiva ao escrever que:

Abençoado com vitória e paz que a terra resgatada do céu

Louvado seja o poder que fez e nos preservou uma nação!

Então devemos conquistar, quando nossa causa é justa,

E este é o nosso lema: “Em Deus está a nossa confiança.” [Xix]

Na Guerra Civil, as Forças da União cantaram essa música ao marchar para a batalha. Na verdade, Abraham Lincoln foi inspirado a colocar "Em Deus nós confiamos" em moedas, que foi um de seus últimos atos oficiais antes de sua morte prematura. [xx] E após a Segunda Guerra Mundial, o presidente Eisenhower liderou o Congresso na tomada de "Em Deus nós confiamos" o lema nacional oficial, [xxi] também adicionando "Abaixo de Deus" à promessa em 1954. [xxii]

Ao longo dos séculos, a América continuamente e repetidamente reconheceu a necessidade de olhar para Deus e apelar para o céu. Isso certamente ficou evidente nos primeiros dias da Guerra pela Independência com a Bandeira Pinetree e sua poderosa inscrição: “Um apelo ao céu.”

[i] “Flag, The,” Ciclopédia de Ciência Política, Economia Política e História Política dos Estados Unidos, ed. John Lalor (Chicago: Melbert B. Cary & amp Company, 1883), 2.232, aqui.

[ii] Relatório dos Procedimentos da Sociedade do Exército do Tennessee na Trigésima Reunião, realizada em Toledo, Ohio, de 26 a 17 de outubro de 1898 (Cincinnati: F. W. Freeman, 1899), 80, aqui.

[iii] Schuyler Hamilton, Nossa bandeira nacional A bandeira dos Estados Unidos, sua história em um século (Nova York: George R. Lockwood, 1877), 16-17, aqui

[4] Relatório dos Procedimentos da Sociedade do Exército do Tennessee na Trigésima Reunião, realizada em Toledo, Ohio, de 26 a 17 de outubro de 1898 (Cincinnati: F. W. Freeman, 1899), 80, aqui.

[v] Richard Frothingham, História do Cerco de Boston e das Batalhas de Lexington, Concord e Buner Hill (Boston: Charles C. Little e James Brown, 1849), 261, aqui.

[vi] Richard Frothingham, História do Cerco de Boston e das Batalhas de Lexington, Concord e Buner Hill (Boston: Charles C. Little e James Brown, 1849), 262, aqui.

[vii] Richard Frothingham, História do Cerco de Boston e das Batalhas de Lexington, Concord e Buner Hill (Boston: Charles C. Little e James Brown, 1849), 262, aqui.

[viii] John Locke, Dois tratados de governo (Londres: A. Millar, et al., 1794), 211, aqui.

[ix] John Locke, Dois tratados de governo (Londres: A. Millar, et al., 1794), 346-347, aqui

[x] John Locke, Dois tratados de governo (Londres: A. Millar, et al., 1794), 354-355, aqui.

[xi] Donald Lutz, As origens do constitucionalismo americano (Baton Rouge: Louisiana State University, 1988), 143.

[xii] Thomas Jefferson, Os escritos de Thomas Jefferson, Andrew A. Lipscomb, editor (Washington, D.C .: The Thomas Jefferson Memorial Association, 1904), Vol. XV, pág. 462, para James Madison em 30 de agosto de 1823.

[xiii] William Wirt, A Vida de Patrick Henry (Nova York: McElrath & amp Bangs, 1831), 140, aqui

[xiv] Jonathan Trumbull citado em James Longacre, Galeria Nacional de Retratos de Distintos Americanos (Filadélfia: James B. Longacre, 1839), 4.5, aqui.

[xv] A questão da guerra com a Grã-Bretanha, examinada sobre princípios morais e cristãos (Boston: Snelling and Simons, 1808), 13, aqui.

[xvi] Jonathan Mayhew, Um discurso sobre submissão ilimitada e não resistência aos poderes superiores (Boston: D. Fowle, 1750) [Evans # 6549] ver também, John Adams, Cartas de John Adams, endereçadas a sua esposa, ed. Charles Francis Adams (Boston: Charles C. Little e James Brown, 1841), 1: 152, para Abigail Adams em 14 de agosto de 1776.

[xvii] “O Grande Projeto do Selo de Benjamin Franklin,” O Grande Selo (acessado em 2 de setembro de 2020), aqui.

[xviii] Ezequias Niles, Princípios e Atos da Revolução na América (Baltimore: William Ogden Niles, 1822), 198.

[xix] Francis Scott Key, "The Defense of Fort M’Henry," The Analectic Magazine (Filadélfia: Moses Thomas, 1814) 4.433-444.

[xx] B. F. Morris, Registro Memorial do Tributo da Nação a Abraham Lincoln (Washington, DC: W. H. & amp O. H. Morrison, 1866), 216, aqui.

[xxi] D. Jason Berggan, “In God We Trust,” A Enciclopédia da Primeira Emenda (2017), aqui.

[xxii] Rachel Siegel, "O Sermão Cativante que Ficou‘ Debaixo de Deus ’Adicionado ao Juramento de Fidelidade no Dia da Bandeira,” The Washington Post (14 de junho de 2018), aqui.


Estatueta de Fundação de um Deus Ajoelhado - História

Glenna Goodacre, escultora do Memorial das Mulheres do Vietnã, é internacionalmente conhecida por seu trabalho em bronze. Ela ganhou vários prêmios e homenagens por seu trabalho e é uma de um pequeno número de artistas independentes que tiveram sua arte cunhada em uma moeda circulada dos EUA (a moeda de dólar Sacagawea de cor dourada emitida em 2000).

George Dickie, AIA ASLA, arquiteto paisagista do Vietnam Women & rsquos Memorial, é professor de arquitetura na Penn State University.

eu n pesquisando os registros do projeto do Muro, um limite definido do local do Muro & # 147site & # 148 não pôde ser encontrado. As diretrizes da competição prescreveram uma área de aproximadamente dois acres dentro da qual o Muro poderia ser localizado.

E estabelecer essa área foi a primeira tarefa. Investigações posteriores no local determinaram que o espaço ao redor do Muro que poderia ser definido como o & # 147genus loci & # 148 do Muro tinha, na verdade, quase seis acres de tamanho. Seis locais foram examinados como adequados para o Memorial das Mulheres do Vietnã e # 146s, cada um adjacente, mas fora da área de contexto do Muro. Importantes na seleção do local foram três fatores adicionais: (1) que o novo Memorial seria colocado em um local de onde a parede pudesse ser vista (2) que haveria fácil acesso ao novo local e (3) que a colocação estaria relacionado ao design do parque e complementaria o conceito de design original do Constitution Gardens.

T O conceito de design baseia-se nos critérios usados ​​no processo de seleção do local, além da constatação de que os Memoriais estão recebendo um número muito maior de visitantes do que o previsto anteriormente.

T escultura de Glenna Goodacre é a força mais importante no design do cenário. A composição da escultura envolve o espectador em uma série de vistas sucessivas. O visitante é atraído pela composição para mover-se pela escultura e determinar uma percepção pessoal da composição de muitos pontos diferentes. Essa necessidade de envolver o observador em uma relação cinética com a estátua levou ao projeto de um terraço que, embora fosse funcionalmente adequado para visualização, também proporcionaria espaço para sentar.

T O material usado para a pavimentação é um granito vermelho Carnelaian de Minnesota. O terraço é abordado a partir da passarela principal que leva ao Muro e à estátua de três guerreiros. Uma única entrada leva à escultura e oferece aos visitantes vistas da parede quando eles saem.

T A forma retangular do terraço e os recortes para sentar e visualizar criam um contraponto ao movimento do visitante e ao círculo de árvores que formam o espaço dentro do parque. As árvores proporcionam paredes transparentes ao terraço e darão sombra e conforto no verão. As árvores selecionadas, Yellowood, têm uma forma ramificada delicada, as folhas são verdes claras no verão e um amarelo sutil no outono. Outros materiais vegetais são Viburnum e Shadblow. A cobertura do solo ao redor do terraço é uma variedade perene de Cotoncaster.


Por que mulheres negras protestam contra a estátua deste famoso ginecologista

A história da assistência à saúde reprodutiva nos EUA é repleta de racismo, já que o acesso das mulheres brancas à assistência à saúde reprodutiva custou a vida das mulheres negras e pardas. Margaret Sanger, a fundadora da Paternidade Planejada, era uma eugenista conhecida. As primeiras formas de controle de natalidade eram testadas em mulheres porto-riquenhas, e escravos negros eram comprados ou alugados rotineiramente por profissionais médicos para serem testados.

Agora, um grupo de mulheres negras está pedindo a remoção de uma estátua na cidade de Nova York que representa essa história sombria.

O Black Youth Project 100, um grupo ativista fundado em 2013, fez um protesto contra a estátua de J. Marion Sims do lado de fora da Academia de Medicina de Nova York em 19 de agosto. Eles fotografaram o protesto em uma postagem agora viral no Facebook em que explicam a razão pela qual eles estão pedindo a remoção da estátua.

“J. Marion Sims era uma ginecologista em 1800 que comprava escravas negras e as usava como cobaias para seus experimentos cirúrgicos não testados ”, escreveram eles. “Ele repetidamente realizou cirurgia genital em mulheres negras SEM ANESTESIA porque, de acordo com ele,‘ Mulheres negras não sentem dor ’.” (Veja o protesto impressionante e leia todo o post abaixo.)

O organizador do protesto, Seshat Mack, disse ao HuffPost que ela e outros membros do BYP 100 pensaram que era importante protestar contra a estátua baseada na cidade de Nova York, especialmente porque a supremacia branca é frequentemente vista como um "problema do sul".

“A homenagem à supremacia branca é um problema americano, não apenas do sul, e é um problema que precisamos considerar como país”, disse Mack.

Ela também discutiu a importância da interseção das mulheres negras e a justiça reprodutiva.

“Não podemos ignorar o fato de que as descobertas de J. Marion Sims sobre os corpos de mulheres negras escravizadas levaram à fundação da ginecologia moderna”, disse ela ao HuffPost. E ainda, como ela aponta, as mulheres negras continuam a receber cuidados de saúde reprodutiva e materna precários.

“As mulheres negras continuam a sofrer piores resultados de saúde do que as mulheres brancas”, disse ela. “Nos Estados Unidos, as mulheres negras ainda têm duas a seis vezes mais probabilidade de morrer durante o parto do que as brancas. A instituição de saúde reprodutiva foi construída sobre a exploração das mulheres negras, mas esta mesma instituição continua a subestimar as mulheres negras ”.

O apelo do BYP 100 para a remoção da estátua ocorre menos de uma semana depois que cidades em todo o país removeram as estátuas confederadas na sequência da marcha neonazista em Charlottesville, Virgínia em 12 de agosto. (Mais e mais cidades continuaram o esforço. )

Especificamente na cidade de Nova York, o prefeito Bill de Blasio pediu uma revisão de 90 dias de quaisquer “símbolos de ódio”. A presidente da Câmara Municipal, Melissa Mark-Viverito, espera que a estátua de Sims seja incluída nessa análise.

“Tem que acabar”, disse ela ao New York Times. “Quando o painel fizer sua análise, acho que eles chegarão à mesma conclusão.”

Mack disse ao HuffPost que a remoção da estátua seria uma resposta bem-vinda ao seu protesto, mas que o trabalho não pode parar por aí.

“Este é um primeiro passo muito fofo”, disse ela, sobre a análise de De Blasio. “Mas o próximo passo (e o passo mais difícil) é garantir que a remoção dessas estátuas racistas e da supremacia branca não seja simplesmente simbólica.”

Mack cita reparações e um desinvestimento em “sistemas que sustentam a supremacia branca”, como o complexo industrial da prisão, como verdadeiros avanços na luta por justiça racial.

“Queremos investimentos em nossas comunidades para os negros, incluindo instalações robustas de saúde mental, educação, creches, alimentos acessíveis e saudáveis, [e] habitação.”

ESCLARECIMENTO: Esta peça foi atualizada para incluir comentários do organizador do protesto, Seshat Mack.


Mooseheart Linha do tempo

James J. Davis

Em cinco anos - no final de 1911 - a organização cresceu para quase 200.000 membros, e Davis, agora com o título de "Diretor Geral", recomendou que os líderes de Moose começassem a procurar o lote certo de bens imóveis para estabelecer o chamado “Moose Institute.” A decisão foi ratificada pela Convenção e, uma vez que se tornou amplamente conhecida, ofertas de propriedades chegaram rapidamente de várias partes dos Estados Unidos. Durante uma semana inteira em dezembro de 1911, uma reunião conjunta do Conselho Supremo Moose e os curadores recém-nomeados do Moose Institute se reuniram no Willard Hotel em Washington para examinar de perto todas as ofertas.

Encontrar um local

Durante essas reuniões e várias outras subsequentes, os líderes decidiram que a casa e a escola deveriam ser localizadas em algum lugar próximo ao centro da população norte-americana, de preferência próximo ao transporte ferroviário e a um rio, com solo fértil para a agricultura, e dentro de um dia transporte de e para uma grande cidade. Essas condições excluíram muitos locais potenciais. Finalmente, em 14 de dezembro de 1912, os líderes decidiram comprar uma operação de laticínios de 750 acres conhecida como Brookline Farm (perto da margem oeste do rio Fox e duas linhas ferroviárias, 40 milhas a oeste de Chicago), além de áreas adjacentes ao oeste e norte de propriedade de duas outras famílias - 1.023 acres no total. As negociações com todas as partes ocorreram em janeiro e fevereiro de 1913, com despesas finais de compra totalizando $ 264.000, e posse legal tomada em 1º de março. Nesse ponto, o lugar já tinha um nome : uma reunião conjunta de 1º de fevereiro do Conselho Supremo e Curadores do Instituto aprovou por unanimidade a proposta do congressista John J. Lentz de nomear a nova casa e escola "Coração de Moose".

Mooseheart Dedication

A dedicação de Mooseheart foi marcada para o domingo, 27 de julho de 1913 - um dia antes da abertura da 25ª Convenção Internacional em Cincinnati. Thomas Marshall, então recém-empossado como vice-presidente dos Estados Unidos, primeiro recusou o convite do governador supremo Ralph Donges para falar em uma cerimônia para o que ele via como um "orfanato". Donges respondeu que “o que estamos planejando não será um orfanato. Será um lar e uma escola para os filhos de nossos membros falecidos.

No dia de sua dedicação, Mooseheart apresentava uma grande casa de fazenda apelidada de Aid Hall, alguns outros prédios em ruínas e uma enorme tenda de circo alugada em Ringling Bros. para a ocasião, para proteger o sol do verão. Mais importante ainda, havia 11 crianças presentes que seriam as primeiras a chamar Mooseheart de casa - a vanguarda de mais de 11.000 que viveram e aprenderam por mais de 90 anos na Child City.

O vice-presidente Marshall, em seu discurso de 27 de julho, disse: “Graças a Deus, aqui neste meio-oeste, aqui neste dia sagrado, a humanidade mais uma vez provou seu direito de ser chamada de filhos do Altíssimo, novamente estendeu a mão no amor e lealdade ao irmão necessitado, e revelou não só o direito, mas o dever desta grande Ordem de existir. ”

Novas ideias ganham forma

Em agosto de 1913, o secretário supremo Rodney Brandon mudou-se de Anderson, IN, onde a sede da Moose estava localizada, para Mooseheart, para servir como o primeiro superintendente da comunidade. Ele trouxe com ele o Dr. J. A. Rondthaler, um ministro presbiteriano e ex-professor universitário, que como reitor se encarregava da vida familiar e escolar dos alunos.

Sob a direção de Brandon, o futuro design de Mooseheart começou a tomar forma. James A. Young, guarda florestal da cidade vizinha de Aurora e proprietário de um viveiro lá, contribuiu com serviços de projeto paisagístico em regime de meio período. Foi Young quem também desenhou os planos básicos para o traçado de uma rua Mooseheart, que ele fez mais ou menos na forma de um coração estilizado.

Construção

Robert Havlik, um jovem engenheiro civil de Detroit, foi contratado em novembro de 1913 para cuidar de todas as construções de ruas, serviços públicos e edifícios permanentes. Brandon também recontratou R.R. Luman, que havia servido como superintendente de fazenda para o proprietário anterior de Brookline. Um médico Aurora foi contratado em meio período para supervisionar uma enfermeira no campus e cuidar das necessidades de saúde.

O ritmo de construção foi febril durante os primeiros 10 anos de Mooseheart, mas especialmente nos primeiros cinco. O atual prédio dos Correios dos EUA (que na época também era uma estação ferroviária e escritórios Mooseheart) foi iniciado antes do final de 1913. Um sistema completo de água e esgoto foi instalado durante a primavera e o verão de 1914, junto com uma usina de aquecimento a carvão e linhas de vapor. Vagões ferroviários de olmos foram plantados na parte residencial do campus quase vazio (muitos tiveram que ser replantados com outras espécies 40 anos depois, quando a doença do olmo holandês atingiu todo o meio-oeste). Um grande dormitório masculino, Loyalty Hall, e um dormitório feminino, Purity Hall (agora Minnesota Home) foram construídos em 1914. Dezesseis outros edifícios - estruturas residenciais e vocacionais e um novo prédio escolar - foram concluídos entre 1915 e 1918. O O enorme Edifício de Administração / Auditório, nomeado em homenagem ao ex-presidente Theodore Roosevelt, foi concluído em 1918 e depois de ter sido iniciado em 1914.

Quinto aniversário

Naquele verão, no quinto aniversário de Mooseheart, o vice-presidente Marshall voltou a falar na inauguração do Auditório, relembrando cinco anos antes: “Deixe-me dizer-lhe que quando falei, havia uma reserva em minha mente. . . Graças a Deus isso hoje. . . a era dos milagres ainda não passou. Tudo o que eu esperava, ansiava e orava naquela ocasião interessante, cinco anos atrás, aconteceu em Mooseheart. ”

A grande Depressão

O desenvolvimento contínuo de Mooseheart continuou inabalável durante a década de 1920, as famosas cinco estruturas da Baby Village e do Campanile, uma homenagem a James J. Davis, foram ambas concluídas em 1922, mais 15 residências foram construídas antes de 1930.

A Grande Depressão atingiu a fraternidade Moose, o número de membros caiu de 600.000 para menos de 250.000 em apenas sete anos. Enquanto isso, Mooseheart assumiu a responsabilidade pela maior população de crianças e adolescentes que jamais teria, flertando com a marca de 1.400 ao longo da década de 1930.

Entre 1933 e o final da Segunda Guerra Mundial, a única nova estrutura Mooseheart construída foi seu novo estádio de futebol e atletismo em 1940, um presente da Illinois Moose Association. Levantando os fundos para isso, e projetando-o gratuitamente, estava o engenheiro Wayne Wallace, de Chicago - um membro da primeira turma de graduação de Mooseheart em 1919.

Fim da Segunda Guerra Mundial

O fim da Segunda Guerra Mundial viu uma das maiores honras da América concedida a um graduado em Mooseheart: o Tenente do Exército dos EUA Edward Silk, da Classe Mooseheart de 1935, foi agraciado em outubro de 1945 com a Medalha de Honra do Congresso do Presidente Harry Truman, por valor e astúcia ao forçar sozinho a rendição de uma dúzia de soldados inimigos na França no ano anterior.

Com o fim da guerra, veio a renovação e construção de Mooseheart, há muito adiada, com destaque para a magnífica Casa de Deus multi-denominacional, construída em 1948-50 após uma campanha de arrecadação de fundos iniciada há mais de 30 anos. O prédio da Escola Malcolm R. Giles, agora abrigando alunos do ensino fundamental e médio em duas alas separadas, foi inaugurado em 1954 e ampliado em 1963 e 1965. A casa da Pensilvânia, projetada para se assemelhar ao Independence Hall da Filadélfia, foi inaugurada em 1958. No Mooseheart's 50th anniversary celebration in 1963, the cavernous new Mooseheart Fieldhouse, attached to Illinois Memorial Stadium, was opened.

Updated Admission Policy

Up through the early 1960s, the original admission policy to Mooseheart remained largely unchanged, permitting only children of male Moose members who had died. As society changed swiftly throughout the 1960s, ’70s and ’80s, Mooseheart adjusted in response, steadily accepting more and more children whose families were in disarray due to divorce, substance abuse, severe economic reversal, or other reasons. Until 1994, however, admission generally required that there be a Moose member in a child’s extended family. But that year, the Moose fraternity’s leaders voted unanimously to expand the admissions policy to consider applications from any family in need, regardless of whether a Moose member was a part of their extended family.

Vocational Training

The 1980s and ’90s saw sweeping changes also in Mooseheart’s time-honored vocational-training program – unique at the time of the campus’ founding, and swiftly emulated by Boys Town in Nebraska and other similar facilities. Upon high school graduation, each Mooseheart student still receives both an academic diploma – and a certificate of proficiency in a trade, For decades, vocational training had taken place completely on campus in more than a dozen different trades. Training still occurs on-campus in Small Engines and Machines, Cosmetology/Hairstyling, Family and Consumer Science, Management Information Systems, Health Occupations and Banking. More recently, more flexible “co-op” vocational training arrangements have been established off-campus with numerous industries and retailers, offering a “real-world” glimpse at various lines of work.

Residence Renovations

Through the 1990s, a whirlwind of residential construction and renovation began anew at Mooseheart. Just from 1991 through 2002, beautiful brand-new residences were built and funded by the Moose of West Virginia, Illinois, Michigan, Maryland/Delaware, New Jersey and North Carolina. Additionally, full renovations of the New York, Tennessee, Washington/Northern Idaho, New England, Arizona/New Mexico, Ontario, Oregon, Iowa/Eastern Nebraska, Virginia, Alabama, South Carolina, Indiana, Minnesota, Wisconsin Georgia, and Pennsylvania Baby Village residences were undertaken.

The Women of the Moose of various states and provinces were instrumental in helping fund all of the above projects they also completely funded a full renovation of their own, as the Greater Chicago residence was renamed the Antoinette Marinello Home, honoring the woman who was the CEO of the Women of the Moose from 1979 through 1990.

501[c]3 Charity Registration

In 1994, the Mooseheart campus took its first step away from full financial reliance upon the Moose fraternity, when Mooseheart Child City & School was incorporated as a separate entity, a registered 501[c]3 charity under the U.S. Internal Revenue Code.

Paul J. O’Hollaren Centre

In 1998, Mooseheart’s first major new multipurpose structure opened since 1963, as the Paul J. O’Hollaren Centre was dedicated, named in honor of the Moose fraternity’s Director General from 1984-1994. This meeting, reception and banquet facility was funded by portions of new-member application fees, with additional funds for landscaping and furnishings from the Moose Legion and the Women of the Moose.

School Addition

In 2001, the first major addition to the Mooseheart School complex since 1965 was completed – This 12,000-sq.-ft. project joined both north and south wings on their east end, and consists of the Florida/Bermuda Cafeteria, the Kay Cancie Gymnasium for physical education, and a Band Room funded by the Order’s Fellows and Pilgrims. This addition enabled an all-student-body assembly to be held within the school structure for the first time.

New Executive Director

In 2003, Mooseheart gained its youngest Executive Director since its first one, Rodney Brandon, when 34-year-old Scott D. Hart assumed the post. Hart and his wife, Christie, had been career Mooseheart staffers since coming to the campus in 1991. The new Executive Director had served as a Family Teacher, Dean, and Assistant Executive Director.

In December 2012, the Moose fraternity's Supreme Council selected Hart to succeed the retiring William B. Airey as the tenth Director General/CEO of Moose International Hart, in turn, selected Gary L. Urwiler to succeed him as Executive Director of Mooseheart—an appointment that was swiftly confirmed by the Mooseheart Board of Directors. Urwiler became the second Mooseheart alumnus to rise to lead the campus in adulthood (the first having been Robert Hanke from 1974-80). Urwiler, who had come to Mooseheart at age 12 in 1981, was graduated in 1987. He earned a bachelor's degree in education at Eureka College in 1992, and a master's degree in educational administration from Aurora University in 2001. From 1995-2000 he served Mooseheart as Dean of Students, Athletic Director head football coach from 2003-12 he served as Superintendent of Education/Principal, and again as head football coach.


Foundation Figurine of a Kneeling God - History

Nossos editores irão revisar o que você enviou e determinar se o artigo deve ser revisado.

Baal, god worshipped in many ancient Middle Eastern communities, especially among the Canaanites, who apparently considered him a fertility deity and one of the most important gods in the pantheon. As a Semitic common noun baal (Hebrew baʿal) meant “owner” or “lord,” although it could be used more generally for example, a baal of wings was a winged creature, and, in the plural, baalim of arrows indicated archers. Yet such fluidity in the use of the term baal did not prevent it from being attached to a god of distinct character. As such, Baal designated the universal god of fertility, and in that capacity his title was Prince, Lord of the Earth. He was also called the Lord of Rain and Dew, the two forms of moisture that were indispensable for fertile soil in Canaan. In Ugaritic and Hebrew, Baal’s epithet as the storm god was He Who Rides on the Clouds. In Phoenician he was called Baal Shamen, Lord of the Heavens.

Knowledge of Baal’s personality and functions derives chiefly from a number of tablets uncovered from 1929 onward at Ugarit (modern Ras Shamra), in northern Syria, and dating to the middle of the 2nd millennium bce . The tablets, although closely attached to the worship of Baal at his local temple, probably represent Canaanite belief generally. Fertility was envisaged in terms of seven-year cycles. In the mythology of Canaan, Baal, the god of life and fertility, locked in mortal combat with Mot, the god of death and sterility. If Baal triumphed, a seven-year cycle of fertility would ensue but, if he were vanquished by Mot, seven years of drought and famine would ensue.

Ugaritic texts tell of other fertility aspects of Baal, such as his relations with Anath, his consort and sister, and also his siring a divine bull calf from a heifer. All this was part of his fertility role, which, when fulfilled, meant an abundance of crops and fertility for animals and mankind.

But Baal was not exclusively a fertility god. He was also king of the gods, and, to achieve that position, he was portrayed as seizing the divine kingship from Yamm, the sea god.

The myths also tell of Baal’s struggle to obtain a palace comparable in grandeur to those of other gods. Baal persuaded Asherah to intercede with her husband El, the head of the pantheon, to authorize the construction of a palace. The god of arts and crafts, Kothar, then proceeded to build for Baal the most beautiful of palaces which spread over an area of 10,000 acres. The myth may refer in part to the construction of Baal’s own temple in the city of Ugarit. Near Baal’s temple was that of Dagon, given in the tablets as Baal’s father.

The worship of Baal was popular in Egypt from the later New Kingdom in about 1400 bce to its end (1075 bce ). Through the influence of the Aramaeans, who borrowed the Babylonian pronunciation Bel, the god ultimately became known as the Greek Belos, identified with Zeus.

Baal was also worshipped by various communities as a local god. The Hebrew scriptures speak frequently of the Baal of a given place or refers to Baalim in the plural, suggesting the evidence of local deities, or “lords,” of various locales. It is not known to what extent the Canaanites considered those various Baalim identical, but the Baal of Ugarit does not seem to have confined his activities to one city, and doubtless other communities agreed in giving him cosmic scope.

In the formative stages of Israel’s history, the presence of Baal names did not necessarily mean apostasy or even syncretism. The judge Gideon was also named Jerubbaal (Judges 6:32), and King Saul had a son named Ishbaal (I Chronicles 8:33). For those early Hebrews, “Baal” designated the Lord of Israel, just as “Baal” farther north designated the Lord of Lebanon or of Ugarit. What made the very name Baal anathema to the Israelites was the program of Jezebel, in the 9th century bce , to introduce into Israel her Phoenician cult of Baal in opposition to the official worship of Yahweh (I Kings 18). By the time of the prophet Hosea (mid-8th century bce ) the antagonism to Baalism was so strong that the use of the term Baal was often replaced by the contemptuous boshet (“shame”) in compound proper names, for example, Ishbosheth replaced the earlier Ishbaal.

The Editors of Encyclopaedia Britannica Este artigo foi revisado e atualizado mais recentemente por Adam Augustyn, Editor Gerente, Reference Content.


Boston Removes a Statue Depicting a Free Black Man Kneeling Before Abraham Lincoln, and It Only Took Them 150 Years!

Today I learned that a statue depicting a freed Black man kneeling before President Abraham Lincoln stood in Boston since 1879, further proving that America has had a white savior complex since before any of us were born.

According to NBC Boston , the statue, a replica of t he Emancipation Memorial in Washington, D.C., was finally taken down this week after officials voted to remove it over the summer. The vote came after a petition to remove the statue garnered thousands of signatures. Tory Bullock, a Boston native and the creator of the petition, told NBC Boston that the statue had bothered him since he was a child, with the question “If he’s free, why is he still on his knees?” often coming to mind when he saw it.

I can’t even front, it’s a weird fucking statue. Now, I’m not going to use this time to dunk on Lincoln. That’s mainly due to having a public school education and not knowing much about the man beyond issuing the Emancipation Proclamation and apparently scoring four times in Gettysburg. I will, however, talk shit about the choices made by whoever designed this statue.

Off jump, the fact that the man is allegedly free but is still kneeling before a white man is just a bad look. There’s no way around it. The badness of it all is only compounded by Lincoln’s posture and facial expression. He looks almost annoyed, as though he’s saying “Y eah yeah, you’re free, whatever, now can I go home?”

Also, he has one hand on what I can only imagine is the Emancipation Proclamation and another held over the freedman, as though he’s casting some sort of freedom enchantment.


Statues Commonly Mistaken for the Historical Buddha

(Click To View Larger Image)

Kuan Yin / Avalokiteshvara

You are more likely to come across the female form of Kuan Yin in Chinese temples, while the male from of Avalokiteshvara is more commonly encountered in the Mahayana schools of Buddhism found in Nepal, Tibet, and India.

(Click To View Larger Image)

Happy Buddha / Ho Tai / Prosperity Buddha

Part of the reason Ho Tai is confused with the Buddha is because they both wear robes, and that in certain languages (Thai, for instance) the vernacular word for the Buddha and for Monks is the same, namely, the word "Phra." It can be confusing even for us Thai people, because if someone were to use JUST the word Phra, we might not know whether they were referring to the Buddha himself, a monk, a statue of the Buddha, or even an amulet (religious pendant) featuring an image of the Buddha. or an image of a highly revered monk!

Ho Tai is often depicted in various forms as well, either with his arms above his head, reaching skyward, or sometimes holding a bag or knapsack over one shoulder. But no matter how he is depicted, he always has a happy face.


Ancient Hawaiian Tiki Gods! Hawaiian Mythology & Tiki God History

In ancient mythic Hawaii, from fire spewing volcanos too powerful crashing surf, ancient Hawaiians filled their amazing land and history with tiki gods. Ancient oracles of Hawaiian kahunas perched on volcanic cliffs, carved wooden tikis peering through the rainforest, mystic caves along the cost and great tiki god temples of sacrifice were located amongst the Hawaiian tiki villages and islands. They were worshipped through human sacrifice, chants (for wealth, death or love), prayers, surfing and lava sledding. (see the bottom of the page for this amazing sign of devotion in which the hawaiians sled down a volcano at speeds up to 50mph!)


Tiki Gods Temple

Related Pages :

Hawaiian Mythology
Mythic Hawaii
Presents
"Hawaiian Folktales"

Archeology:
War God Temples


The Four Major Tiki Gods
Hawaiian Forces of Nature Personified

Ku – Ancient Tiki God of War
In Hawaiian mythology Ku is one of the four great gods along with the ancient tiki gods, Kanaloa, Kane, and Lono. He was the husband of the goddess Hina (Beckwith 1970:12), suggesting a complementary dualism as the word ku in the Hawaiian language means "standing up" while one meaning of 'hina' is 'fallen down.'

Ku is worshipped under many names, including Ku-ka-ili-moku, the "Seizer of Land" (a feather-god, the guardian of Kamehameha). Rituals included human sacrifice, which was not part of the worship of the other gods. Ku, Kane, and Lono caused light to shine in upon the world. They are uncreated gods who have existed from eternity (Tregear 1891:540).

Lono – Ancient Tiki God of Fertility and Peace
In Hawaiian mythology, Lono is a fertility and music god who descended to Earth on a rainbow to marry Laka. In agricultural and planting traditions, Lono was identified with rain and food plants. He was one of the four gods (with Ku, Kane, and his twin brother Kanaloa) who existed before the world was created. Lono was also the god of peace. In his honor, the great annual festival of the Makahiki was held. During this period (from October through February), all unnecessary work and war was kapu (taboo). This is also the season of taxes, olympic like games and when chiefs regrouped their forces (and organized campaigns ironically).

Lono and the death of Captain Cook
Some Hawaiians believed that Captain James Cook was Lono returned and indeed this fact may have ultimately contributed to Capt. Cook's death (see James Cook - Third voyage (1776-1779)). However, it is uncertain whether Captian Cook was taken for the god Lono or one of several historical or legendary figures who were also referred to as Lono-i-ka-Makahiki. According to Beckwith, there was indeed a tradition that such a human manifestation of the god [Lono] had actually appeared, established games and perhaps the annual taxing, and then departed to "Kahiki," promising to return "by sea on the canoes ‘Auwa’alalua" according to the prose note. "A Spanish man of war" translates the queen, remembering a tradition of arrival of a Spanish galleon beaten out of its course in the early days of exploration of the Pacific "a very large double canoe" is Mrs. Pukui's more literal rendering, from ‘Au[hau]-wa’a-l[o]a-lua. The blue-sailed jellyfish we call "Portuguese man-of-war" Hawaiians speak of, perhaps half in derision, as ‘Auwa’alalua. The mother honored Keawe's son, perhaps born propitiously during the period of the Makahiki, by giving him the name of Lono-i-ka-Makahiki, seeing perhaps in the child a symbol of the tiki god's promised return.” (Beckwith 1951).

Kane – Ancient Tiki God of Light and Life
In Hawaiian mythology, Kane Milohai is the father of the tiki gods Ka-moho-ali'i, Pele (whom he exiled to Hawaii), Kapo, Namaka and Hi'iaka by Haumea. He created the sky, earth and upper heaven and gave Kumu-Honua the garden. He owned a tiny seashell that, when placed on the ocean's waves, turned into a huge sailboat. The user of the boat had merely to state his destination and the boat took him there. In agricultural and planting traditions, Kane was identified with the sun.

The word Kane alone means "man". As a creative force, Kane was the heavenly father of all men. As he was the father of all living things, he was a symbol of life in nature.

In many chants and legends of Ancient Hawaii, Kane is paired with the god Kanaloa, and is considered one of the four great Hawaiian divinities along with Kanaloa, Ku, and Lono.

Alternatively known as Kane, Kane-Hekili ("thunderer" or "lightning breaking through the sky"), Kane Hoalani.

Kanaloa – Ancient Tiki God the Sea
Kanaloa is one of the four great gods of Hawaiian mythology, along with Kane, Ku, and Lono. He is the local form of a Polynesian deity generally connected with the sea. Roughly equivalent deities are known as Tangaroa in New Zealand, Tagaloa in Samoa, and Ta'aroa in Tahiti.

In the traditions of Ancient Hawaii, Kanaloa is symbolized by the squid, and is typically associated with Kane in legends and chants where they are portrayed as complementary powers (Beckwith 1970:62-65). For example: Kane was called upon during the building of a canoe, Kanaloa during the sailing of it Kane governed the northern edge of the ecliptic, Kanaloa the southern Kanaloa points to hidden springs, and Kane then taps them out. In this way, they represent a divine duality of wild and taming forces like those observed (by Georges Dumezil, et al.) in Indo-European chief god-pairs like Odin-Tyr and Mitra-Varuna, and like the popular yin-yang of Chinese Taoism.

Interpretations of Kanaloa as a god of evil opposing the good Kane (a reading that defies their paired invocations and shared devotees in Ancient Hawaii) is likely the result of European missionary efforts to recast the four major divinities of Hawaii in the image of the Christian Trinity plus Satan.


Minor Tiki Gods and Legends

Kauhuhu - The Shark God of Molokai
Kauhuhu lives in a cave on the side of a high ocean cliff that is protected by two ancient Hawaiian dragons. He arrives to his cave by riding the eighth wave in a set of giant waves. He devoured any man the saw him and his dragons killed anyone who entered his cave. Once however he found a man in his cave and quickly pounced on him and had him halfway in his mouth when he took pity on him. The man, Kamalo, was able to explain quickly enough that his sons had been murdered for playing a powerful chiefs tiki drums. The chief, Kapu, was very powerful and everyone feared him so Kamalo had to seek Kauhuhu, the shark god.

The shark god instructed Kamalo to return to his village in the Mapulehu Valley and to prepare a sanctuary with many sacred animals and surrounded by sacred white tapa kapu staffs. Then he would wait the arrival of the shark god. A giant cloud would float against the wind over from the Lanai island. It would grow in size and cover the mountains above Mapulehu Valley. From it a rainbow would appear and Kamalo would know the shark god had arriaved.

Kamalo returned to his home and took care of the shark gods old priest (kahuna) who he carried up a cliff, he then placed the kapu staffs in a large ring on the cliff, fencing in the sacred animals. Kamalo called all those close to him together to live within the enclosure. Then he waited with his eyes toward Lanai.

Months past until the cloud appeared, it traveled against the wind and came to rest above the mountains that loomed over the Mapulehu Valley. A rainbow appeared and the winds began to pick up force. Towering dark Storm clouds soon blew in and a great storm began to rage. Lightning broke the sky and torrential rains poured forth in quantities the island had never known. The water rushed down the mountains into the valley in a flash flood. The torrent rushed from the mountain with such force everything before it was swept up into it. The only area that was not devastated was the sanctuary with in the kapu staffs where Kamalo and his followers watched in awe. The storm ravaged the land and the waters flooded the valley, washing everything before it away. Kupa, his home, all of his followers and possessions were washed into the sea where the people of Kauhuhu's sharks awaited to deliver Kamalo's final revenge. The bay waters were soon stained red with the blood of Kupa and his followers.

After this day the bay was known as Aikanaka, meaning 'man-eater', and everyone learned a great respect for the power of clouds in the peaks above their village. Everyone that heard the story also learned great respect for the power of the Shark God, Kauhuhu.

Kaupe - The Cannibal Dog Man
In ancient Hawaii, there was a class of people called Olohe who were hairless and often specialized in wrestling and bone breaking. Unfortunately, they were also known to be cannibals and robbers. Their leader was Kaupe and he had the power to turn into a giant dog. He used these powers to stalk and kill men until his death. Now he hunts hawaiians as a ghost dog.

Nightmarchers
In Hawaiian legend, Nightmarchers (huaka'i po or "Spirit Ranks," 'oi'o) are the ghosts of ancient Hawaiian warriors. On certain nights, they are said come forth from their burial sites to march out, weapons in hand, to past battles or to other sacred places. Anyone living near their path may hear chanting and marching, and must go inside to avoid notice. They might appear during the day if coming to escort a dying relative to the spirit world. Anyone looking upon or seen by the marchers will die unless a relative is within the marcher's ranks- some people maintain that if you lie face down on the ground they will not see you. Others say that this only works if you are naked. Still others say that you should be naked, lie face up and feign sleep. Placing leaves of the ti (Cordyline sp.) around one's home is said to keep away all evil spirits, and will cause the huaka'i po to avoid the area. Another be

Nanaue - The Shark Man
Once a shark king noticed a beautiful princess on a Hawaiian beach. He approached her in the form of a great human chief and they fell in love. They were married and she became pregnant. However, on the night before she gave birth to her son, Nanaue, the Shark King departed. He warned her to never let the boy eat meat and returned to the sea.

When the boy was born the princess noticed a slit on his back, she kept it covered and hid it from the village. As he grew this slit became a large shark mouth upon his back that he kept covered from all. When the boy grew to be a man she could not eat with him because of a strict taboo against women and men eating together. One day the boy ate meat and developed a ravenous taste for it. From then on he would follow people to the beach when they went swimming, he would then turn to the form of a giant shark and eat them as they returned to the shore. However, after many died the village became suspicious and tore Nanaue's shirt off revealing the large shark mouth on his back.

After much struggle and vicious bites from the mouth on Shark Man's back the villagers tied him up. The high chief then ordered that a great oven be built and everyone dug a pit and placed stones in it. They then attempted to heave the Shark Man into the oven, but he then turned himself into shark form, snapping the ropes that bound him. Nanaue flopped, snapped at people and eventually tumbled down a hill into a river that flowed from the Waipio falls. The warriors of the valley ran along the side of the river, throwing spears and stones at the giant shark, but none dared enter and before they could get their nets Nanaue swam into the sea.

Nanaue swam far from Waipio valley and was not sighted again until he resurfaced in Maui were they had not yet heard about the Shark Man. He resided near Hana and married their chief, a beautiful women. There, he secretly fed on the people of Maui until he became careless and was seen changing shape and attacking a victim. The villagers then launched canoes and hunted Nanaue out of their waters.

Nanaue later surfaced in Maui where he settled near Hana. Unfortunately though, he hadn't lost his taste for human flesh and he began feeding on innocent villagers. One day he became careless though and was spotted changing into shark form to pursue a swimmer. The warriors of Maui then lunched their canoes and pursued him instead! Using spears and nets they attempted to capture and kill the Shark Man, but he slipped away into the wide ocean.

Once again the Shark Man remerged onto a Hawaiian island. This time it was Molokai where he began a new life. Swimmers began disappearing again though and suspicion was raised. The network of Hawaiian Kahunas had by this time spread the word about the dangerous Shark Man and kahunas of Molokai placed everyone on alert.

The fishermen, who were a crucial part of the effort to find the Shark Man, noticed a man slip into the water and then a giant shark in the sea. They cautiously angled their boats toward him then threw out their nets. The Shark Man was entangled, but he would soon escape however the warriors of Molokai were ready and launched their canoe and joined the struggle. The great shark form of Nanaue was stabbed with spears and repeatedly netted. Kahunas chanted and used all of their magic to sap the shark of his great strength. The terrible struggle stained the sea red but the might of the Molokai fishermen, warriors and kahunas proved to be too much for Nanaue. He was eventually dragged to the shore where he was beaten with war clubs, slashed with sharktoothed weapons and stabbed with spears. Finally the form of the great shark reverted back to that of a man with a shark mouth on his back, bleeding from dozens of wounds in the shallow red stained surf.

The high chief of Molokai then ordered Nanaue's body to be chopped up and the pieces thrown into an oven. The villagers were happy to oblige and such was the end of the Nanaue. Soon the word about his death spread like smoke from the oven, and all Hawaiians breathed easier knowing the Shark Man had been vanquished. (for a longer version see Hawaiian-Mythology )

Lua-o-Milu – Land of the Dead
In Hawaiian mythology, Lua-o-Milu is the land of the dead, ruled by Milu. Dead souls enter Lua-o-Milu through a trail called Mahiki. The spirits of the dead can watch what the living do and turn them to stone by staring at them.
(see see Hawaiian-Mythology for more information)

Other Ancient Hawaiian Tiki Gods
In a famous creation story, the demigod Maui fished the islands of Hawaii from the sea after a little mistake he made on a fishing trip. From Haleakala, Maui ensnared the sun in another story, forcing him to slow down so there was equal periods of darkness and light each day. Pele is another famous deity, the fiery (in more then one way) daughter of Kane who brought the sea to Hawaii and causes lava flows.

Ancient Hawaiian Lava Sledding
Hawaiian lava sledding (Hawaiian: he‘e holua, "mountain surfing") is a traditional sport of Native Hawaiians. Similar to wave surfing, he‘e holua involves the use of a narrow 12 foot long, 6 inch wide wooden sled (papaholua) made from native wood like Kau‘ila or Ohia. The sled is used standing up, lying down, or kneeling, to ride down man-made courses of lava rock, often reaching speeds of 50 mph or greater. In the past, Hawaiian lava sledding was considered both a sport and a religious ritual for honoring the gods.


Assista o vídeo: Вдали, вдали я вижу крест


Comentários:

  1. Selassie

    Peço desculpas, mas na minha opinião você está errado. Entre que discutiremos. Escreva-me em PM.

  2. Esequiel

    Você comete um erro. Vamos discutir isso. Escreva para mim em PM, vamos nos comunicar.

  3. Bawdewyne

    Você está absolutamente certo. Nesta coisa é uma excelente ideia, mantemos.

  4. Daudy

    Por favor, perifra

  5. Akicage

    Na minha opinião, você comete um erro. Eu sugiro isso para discutir. Escreva para mim em PM, vamos conversar.



Escreve uma mensagem